9370 coil whine confirmed

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by yzs, Jan 26, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    Do the fans calm down when the battery is fully charged? It's normal for the fans to spin up when charging the battery but if they continue after it's done then that may be abnormal.

2. yzs

yzs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So some units definitely have zero coil whine.

Called Dell for an exchange and they now ask for an audio recording in order to proceed -- they did however mention vaguely that machines post a certain date (didn't say exactly what date though) do not have coil whine, so there might be something to hope for for those who would like a coil whine free laptop.

The fan problem I presume should be fixable via driver/bios updates -- just a waiting game I reckon...

3. ninja_xxx

ninja_xxx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    nope its got a mind of its own. Sometimes it doesn't start till cpu is over 70. Sometimes it starts at 40. I can't figure it out.

4. ninja_xxx

ninja_xxx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    bro those guys don't know anything. They talking about coil whine on the older xps13, they did an update motherboard but everyone still complaining about coil whine.
    9370 just came out this month and still in first run/production. In any manufacturing process it takes minimum 3 months to setup new update production so i can bs on that one.

Anyways i've come to the conclusion that the bios is messed up somewhere. who knows when it will be fixed.

5. yzs

yzs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep, was suspecting that would be the case since the guy sounded rather hand-waving when he mentioned coil whine being fixed, i.e., without specifics.

Good that your traced down the problem to the bios, so theoretically fixable, but could take forever knowing this is Dell and their track record on 9350...

ps: 3rd visit from the Dell engineer to fix my colleague's 9350 today, 1st visit they managed to break 3 keys on the keyboard, 2nd visit they broke the SSD!!, today they coming back to completely resemble the laptop since quite a few screws were missing already, the heatsink was bent after the 1st visit, and the LED charging indicator was left out!!

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The recent 3 generations of XPS 13 & 15 have been on similar platforms and chipsets. They all have some coil whine in normal use. Some are worse than others. This is price of thin chassis and recycled design decisions.

Some people don't hear coil whine due to ambient noise, personal hearing characterisitics, use case. Coil whine might be emphasized by charging, speedstep schemes, scrolling, etc.

Dell's phone techs are paid to close complaints ASAP and will typically say "fix is on the way", we can have a tech will look at system, upcoming new revision boards will eliminate all whine. All fiction.

Frankly Dell's recent noisy fan schemes are more irritating than coil whine on my systems/

7. monty47

monty47 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They do calm down when reaching ~90% in my case, but the behavior is still weird for the following reasons:
    -Fan will kick in nearly at full speed, even though there are no tasks running and CPU temps are around 35C. As soon as I unplug the laptop, fan noise will cease after 30sec
    -I uninstalled Dell utilties on Windows, the behavior still persists but fans are less noisy
    -On Ubunutu, this doesn't always happen (more like 2 times out of 3, and not immediately after plugging in). Also fan speeds are much less pronounced, and it would usually stop at some point. CPU temps are still around 35C-40C.
    Using this machine on linux has been a real pleasure as most of the time it is completely silent and stays cool (for now). I hope the new unit you get is coil whine free, I experienced that with my old laptop and it was annoying...

8. MDX18

MDX18 Newbie

Reputations:
    Received a top of the line 9370 with too much fan activity for my liking. Tried to play with the Dell Power Manager options, recommended power settings, etc, but not enough change. The notebook is just too slim for all that power and those vents at the bottom don't look like a good design, "thin chassis and recycled design decisions" like someone mentioned before.
    Mostly use the computer connected to thunderbolt hub with monitor, keyboard, etc. so need to be more quiet. Gonna give it a couple more weeks before deciding wether to return it or not.
    Does the Macbook Pro have the same issues ? I was seriously considering one before deciding to give Windows and Dell another chance.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    pressing likes this.
  9. yzs

yzs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Major update.

Dell seems to have finally sorted out a way to deal with coil whine!

... and I quote:

"As you are asking for a replacement we will require a video (recorded from 25-30 cm away from the system) of the issue to understand the issue and only then we will be able to request a replacement."

So we just have to shut up and stop complaining if the 25-30cm rule is not met -- very fair if you ask me!

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same reponse from Dell for several people owning prior generation XPS laptops. . .