9370 coil whine confirmed

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by yzs, Jan 26, 2018.

1. ninja_xxx

ninja_xxx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You know when we have weird things like this happen on desktop pc first thing we check is the PSU. Could is be the Charger itself? I did notice once it does get hot and i thought i saw a made in china sticker on it or was that the usb dongle. Do you have another charger you can check with? I won't be able to test this till tomorrow.

2. yzs

yzs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I use a Google 45w charger at work, not sure I witnessed any different behaviour. One thing I'm sure is the Google charger is a lot better since it charges my Note 8 without a problem. The Dell one also charges but would freeze the screen often so I had to unplug immediately so not to fry my phone.

3. spule

spule Newbie

Reputations:
    Can any of the new XPS 9370 owners please confirm that their laptop is absolutely coil whine free when plugged into AC? I am just trying to find out if all units are affected on one level or another.

If there is a chance to get a 100% coil whine free unit, I'll just keep exchanging them :)

4. ninja_xxx

Reputations:
    ok its not the charger or the battery.
    i'm going to buy a new Samsung ssd today and re-install windows. I'm thinking its a driver conflict. Also when i saw my toshiba ssd half the pcb looked new and clean and half looked old and used, weird?

Also i think i found a way to reduce coil whine, will do more test today.

ps when you open up the laptop be careful the metal is very sharp around the edges. i cut one of my fingers real good. Thanks dell
    thanks dell for all the extra work and wasting the one day i have off

5. spule

spule Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm that 9370 Silver/Back 1080p (FHD version) has glossy Edge-to-edge Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4 screen instead of that matte bezel that was on 9360?

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, from what I am reading here, you can only hear the coil whine when you have your ear to the keyboard. How often do you use your computer like that?:bigconfused:

7. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's totally how I use all of my computers. Makes it harder to see the screen, but I think it makes me look cool.

kojack likes this.
  8. spule

spule Newbie

Reputations:
    Haha, try reading the rest of the sentence next time :)

"Without the cable plugged in and with battery settings set at "Battery saver" or "Recommended" I can barely hear it even with my ear pressed to the laptop and I believe that should be the "acceptable level", but the second I plug it in it starts and never stops. Touching the screen, downloading files (this especially), watching videos, even scrolling web pages - I can hear the coil whine from 5 feet away. "

Did "5 feet" confuse you? It's 1.5 meters in proper measurements :)

pressing likes this.
  9. ninja_xxx

Reputations:
    Ok guys quick update.
    I tried different charger, Same problem.
    I tried without the batter just charger plugged in. Same Problem.
    I bought new SSD and reinstalled windows still same problem.
    I turned off all the options in bios. Still over heating and fan problems but helped with the coil whine but all those options are important so thats a no go.

I'm sending my Laptop to Dell's Lab for further testing.

10. monty47

monty47 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the 4K version, currently running a dual boot windows/ubuntu and I can't hear any coil whine when plugged into AC, even when I stick my ears close to the left side of the keyboard.

I do however get the fan issue (fan starts running when plugged in AC), much more pronounced on Windows than Ubuntu.

spule likes this.