9370 coil whine confirmed

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by yzs, Jan 26, 2018.

1. yzs

yzs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but just received my 9370 and coil whine is still there!!!

You do have to put your ear next to the keyboard to observe it, and a little better than my old 9350, but you do wonder what Dell had been doing all this time *not* to sort out the single most annoying problem on their XPS 13 line.

Now, the machine otherwise is impressive, better on all aspects! Just the coil whine...

2. ninja_xxx

ninja_xxx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    strange mine doesn't have coil whine. i have 2 other xps 13 2017 model with coil whine so i know.
    I haven't had time to use it much yet but when its plugged in charging the fans are too loud and it gets hot. Not happy right now :(
    does your get hot and how loud is the fan?

3. yzs

yzs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My coil whine is just a bit better than my old 9350 but definitely there if you put your ear next to it.

Having said that, the machine is otherwise solid, and I wouldn't return it just for the coil whine.

My doesn't get hot nor noisy, my old fan is a lot noiser.

I'm just very disappointed with Dell overall, quality control almost non-existent on older models, everyone at work with a 9350 now suffer different problems. 9370 seems to be better made, but let's see...

4. yzs

yzs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I retract what I said re: fan noise, when plugged in, this thing never stops spinning the fans!

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are some recent BIOS / driver changes that have caused my fans to run very frequently on a 9550. You may be suffering the same on the 9370...

6. yzs

yzs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry, more negative comments -- despite the fans spinning like crazy, the whatever thermal solution/material they claim works wonders simply does not! The bottom of the laptop is proper hot and the keyboard less so than my 9350 but still rather warm to touch.

7. ninja_xxx

Reputations:
    same problem as me i see :(
    did you talk to dell. I think we need a new bios update :(

8. ninja_xxx

Reputations:
    another problem :(
    when i'm scrolling on websites my screen brightness changes...like lots of white on screen then scroll down and a picture which is darker comes, whole screen goes darker.

9. yzs

yzs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ah, not have that screen problem...

again, I am just SHOCKED at how bad Dell quality control is!

looks like we have also another long cycle of bios updates to look forward to.

I'm not too optimistic on fan noise though, even with fan spinning mad, surface temp really gets high.

10. kirkyboy

kirkyboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hm thats the automatic / adaptive brightness adjustment done by Dell like on my 9350 maybe, weird, they did a bios update for the 4K version allowing you to turn it off I believe. Look in the bios to turn it off maybe.

Does not bother me anymore, but I thought the removed it or allowed you to switch it off...