8th Gen CPU Gtx 1070 or 7th Gen CPU Gtx 1080?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by krelian03, Apr 13, 2018.

1. krelian03

krelian03 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!

As the title says. I am looking for a new laptop and I actually waited for the new 8th gen procies for laptops. Now that they are out and I am in the process of replacing my GT60 0ND-250US (5yrs) I would say I was happy with it's performance but it is time to upgrade.

I will use the laptop primarily to play games like FFXIV, FFXV, CSGO, PUBG and others (I like RPGs and RTS games). In the future, I am looking at Anthem and I want to play the games in Ultra (hopefully) in the next 2 years. Also, please consider that the laptop will be running 24/7 as I always have an android emulator running an afk game.

So now, I am down to 2 contenders.
    MSI GT73VR 7RF TITAN PRO-HID1 17.3" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    http://www.hidevolution.com/msi-gt73vr-titan-pro-hid1.html

MSI GT63 8RF TITAN-047 15.6" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
    http://www.hidevolution.com/msi-gt63-8rf-titan-047.html

So it boils down to CPU and GPU - one with better CPU and the other with better GPU with the same price point of around $2200. What are your thoughts on these?

Thank you!
    Krelian

2. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    xDjinn likes this.
  3. krelian03

krelian03 Newbie

Reputations:
    @RampantGorilla Thanks, here it is. Also, may I know why was your recommendation so?

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $2200 max

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: MSI since it lasted long enough - but is willing to try something with the same reputation.
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming and occasional video editing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mostly at home but I occasionally travel to our province as well.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes - MMORPGS, RPGS, RTS and FPS games. Looking at FFXV, Anthem, PUBG etc at the moment.
    Looking to play at ultra within the next 2 yrs or so (with good FPS still).

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Always plugged.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I'm fine not seeing it.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    1080p with gsync.. but may consider 1440p external in the future.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    does not matter.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    no

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    when available

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    5yrs - I understand that games by that time will be played at low settings maybe. But I want to play at ultra within the next 2 yrs.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    250 SSD is fine. 1Tb for files

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    no
    ==========

Not a newbie but not an expert as well in terms of computers. I read a lot when trying to build/buy one.

Thanks!

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    His recommendation was that way because most modern titles still are not cpu bottlenecked by a 7700HQ. This means that the 1080 will offer more performance over the 1070. In general the graphics card is normally the most important aspect for gaming and that's showing here.

And for what good it'll do around here I'll at least advise you price check around on those units.

5. krelian03

krelian03 Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright thanks. If we are to consider the screen which is 5ms vs 3ms and the ram which is 2400 vs 2666 - those would not add up compared to the performance boost of the 1080?

For the price check - what do you mean? It seems the one above is the cheapest 1080 amounting to 2208 with the liquid metal pasting and the killer upgrade.

6. Galm

Reputations:
    For price check I just meant shop around. There’s a lot of HIDEvolution hype around here that’s a little over the top. Certain people will only recommend HID because of their own experience and it makes it easy to forget other options are often cheaper and easily worth it when you aren’t planning to use their luxury services like cpu delidding etc...

https://www.gentechpc.com/MSI-GT73VR-TITAN-Pro-nVidia-Pascal-GTX-1080-p/msi-gt73vr-titan-pro-236.htm

Gentechpc is the only other shop with liquid metal though and it’s a very similar price so no worries in this case. HID’s costs add up when you start adding on extras like panel binning etc... and technically if you don’t pay for panel binning from what I gather your average panel quality is slightly reduced vs other companies (basically irrelevant in this case).

In regards to panels theyre both TNs so response times should be similarly quick.

capjack and Anthony Accioly like this.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @krelian03 Don't listen to Galm, he's one of those Anti-HIDevolution people here who's mission revolves around telling people not to buy from HIDevolution because they are more expensive yada yada

They are more expensive because:

- Better quality control and higher standards
    - The ability to hand pick the best screen out of many similar models to get the least light bleeding and dead/stuck pixel guarantee
    - The best thermal paste application method to ensure you get a laptop that doesn't overheat
    - proper stress testing of the machine to ensure it works perfect when it reaches to you, no surprises
    - More customization with regards to the hardware you can configure your system with like RAM and SSD choices.
    - For those who opt for the laptops with desktop class CPUs, they are one of the very few that offer in house CPU Delidding which brings down the temps by up to 20C
    - Better customer service and after sales support
    - Awesome contacts with big name companies like MSI for example, when I had an issue with my laptop when GSYNC wasn't working, I reached out to MSI and had bad service, they were telling me my screen was NOT a GSYNC Screen and that they never advertised it to be a GSYNC screen on their site despite me showing them links to every review saying that it IS GSYNC. Then I reached out to HIDevolution and thanks to their awesome contacts with the seniors at MSI, got me sorted

Also see these threads:

HIDevolution - The Best Company I ever dealt with
    HIDevolution's Warranty!
    HIDevolution - a benchmark for excellent customer service
    Don't Think. Just go with HIDevolution
    My experience with Donald and HIDEvolution
    Pulling the trigger on a decked out P870TM1 at HID-Evolution. Thanks Donald!

I and many of the enthusiasts here like @Papusan and @Mr. Fox can vouch for their superior laptop builds and customer service. Don't accept anything but the best! Be smart...be like Phoenix...

As an NBR Forum member, if you email donald@hidevolution.com and give him your forum username, you can get a small discount

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  8. Galm

Reputations:
    This is absolutely exactly what I’m talking about.

Give me a little while OP and I’ll edit this post with a better response.

Phoenix is also literally missing the point *that I just told you to go with HIDEvolution*. I’m not anti HID at all. I’m against not checking your options.

9. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd consider getting an extended warranty. I would not pay over $2000 dollars for a machine that only has a one year warranty. Oh, and I wouldn't get a liquid metal TIM on my CPU. The gallium in the TIM will react slowly with copper heatsink and will dry up within 6 -12 months. You also have other issues like the possibility of the liquid metal leaking out and frying your board. Stick to thermal grizzly kryonaut or GC Gelid extreme. Both of these pastes will last much longer than a liquid metal application and come with none of draw backs of it. Since the GT73 has excellent cooling, there is no need to use liquid metal, other than for bragging rights.

Really @Phoenix? He seems to be one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum. If you ask him about a random model, he could immediately tell you whether to buy it or not, simply from memory. Please stop telling people to blindly buy from HIDevolution. While they may have excellent customer service, they are not the only reseller who provides excellent customer service. There may be other resellers who would provide a similar level of service, but at a fairer price for the same laptop model. None of the services you listed are exclusive to HIDevolution (e.g. XMG also sells delidded CPUs) and some of the points you make are subjective.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Anthony Accioly and Maleko48 like this.
  10. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I recommend what I wish. Understand? You're the other troll along with Galm who goes into each and every single thread where the user himself has chosen HIDevolution after doing their research and is simply asking us between 2 models, then you come with your cheap mentality and say but this or that reseller has it cheaper by a 100 bucks or whatever.

I don't need to justify HIDevolution's customer service, build quality, customer satisfaction. It's all over the forums in the feedback section if you ever cared to visit that.

Do you see me sticking my nose when you make a recommendation and say NOOO don't buy from this seller bla bla bla???! Everyone here is entitled to their own opinion!

Let me not count the numerous times I have wronged you in your recommendations or false info you gave (hint: you said the GT73's battery life has horrible battery life because no Optimus which is not true, it has a switchable Intel HD Graphics for increased battery but you just ignored my post because I pwned you [​IMG])

Galm has great knowledge about so many laptops and you seem to live on Notebookcheck.net, that is true. But he has no right deterring people from the choice of reseller they made and neither do you.