8PM EST on Twitch - Clevo P775DM2-G upgrade 1080 to 2080!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by thewizzard1, Oct 22, 2020.

1. thewizzard1

thewizzard1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope this is the right spot to post this, but it seems about right.

I'll be streaming tonight, to chat and discuss my modified TerransForce X711 / Clevo P775DM2-G laptop, with a modified BIOS to support the i7-8700T, and an aftermarket combo-block heatpipes/waterblock cooler.

I'll be installing my new GTX2080 card, removing my old GTX1080, re-pasting it all and chatting about the rig and some of my other projects. If I have time, I'll also be installing a 4K panel.

www.Twitch.TV/LimitedBandwidth

We are streaming to support our Game Day and charity fundraisers this year - This is the laptop I will be gaming on during the 24-hour fundraiser on Nov 7th.

https://www.facebook.com/LimitedBandwidth/posts/2711281465857211

2. Kommando

Kommando Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey wizzard. Since I'm not on Twitch or Facebook i have to ask this here. Hope you don't mind. Why exactly do you emphasize the use of the 8700T?

Its just a TDP limited version of the 8700 or 8700K. And in this regard it doesn't fit very well to the 2800, if you ask me. Nevertheless its a nice project to show such modification projects to all the people.

thewizzard1 likes this.
  3. thewizzard1

Reputations:
    I had originally been using it in a smaller SFF desktop unit, the Asrock Deskmini, and never had problems when paired with a 1080. You might be right, it's TDP limited and may have a slight adverse effect on performance, but I have not run into any major bottlenecks with this unit other than the power supply - The last 3 major gaming session issues with the previous 7700k, the power supply has given out before thermals :) I'll happily subtract 30w from the processor to allow the GPU that much more headroom.

Thanks for watching the video! I hope to get my x-bracket soon.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Desk fan on the psu :)

thewizzard1 likes this.
  5. thewizzard1

Reputations:
  6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You could try our sales team, worth a shot.

The most I've done is adapted cables for things like the slimline 230w and 330w to barrel type connector.

thewizzard1 likes this.
  7. thewizzard1

Reputations:
    I did give them a shot, and Eurocom, and Xotiq, and a couple others - Everybody ends up wanting at least $60 shipped. It's crazy! I'm just going to make my own from an MXM2.1 unit with the correct external size but wrong internal size.

Yeah, replacing cables and connectors on enthusiast power supplies is fantastic. I had a Dell flat-pack 240W I just installed a Toshiba cable onto for my Zotac VR Go unit. Not many folks out there modding PSUs!

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    No, but can look good and be done safe :)

thewizzard1 likes this.