8GB DDR3 So-dimm module available when?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by AndrewKW, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewKW

AndrewKW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

does anyone know when 8GB SO-DIMM modules will be available for notebooks ? (16GB for two slot notebooks)

Any ideas appreciated. Best regards

2. newsposter

newsposter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    dunno....

But the availability of a memory dimm and the ability of a chipset **and** the machine BIOS to accept it are two different things.

3. maxsquared

maxsquared Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can't see it's happening anytime soon, as no software can even make use of the 8GB (on a notebook) at the moment.

4. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    When they see a market for $600 individual DIMM's.

5. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    LOL, you're such a card. Hmm, if they build will they come?
    Well it is the current limit for a notebook. But actually, I believe After Effects will make good use of every bit of those GB. Provided you have that kind of talent, that is? :p

6. newsposter

newsposter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Max, that is a very narrow outlook, perhaps based on inexperience......

7. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Even 4GB DDR3 SODIMMs are ridiculously expensive at the moment - there's definitely not enough demand for 8GB DDR3 modules to justify production of them, and there likely won't be any time soon.

Although as programs begin utilizing more RAM and RAM modules decrease in price, I can imagine that we'd see more higher-end notebooks with 4 RAM slots, such as the Envy 15 and Precision M6400. That could potentially allow for 8GB+ RAM, which I would venture to say is more than enough memory for pretty much any user.

8. TechAnimal

TechAnimal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Add the Lenovo W510 to that list. I'm currently trying to decide between a 4 X 2gb config or 2 X 2 plus 2 X 4gb. Decisions, decisions

9. K-TRON

K-TRON Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^

Reputations:
    To add on that the 4gb modules they sell now in the 2 x4GB kits are practically plastered all of the way around in memory chips. You will not see a single 8gb memory card until memory density doubles. This could take quite some time.

Why would you want 16gb of memory in your laptop anyways.
    I have trouble using more than 7gb on windows xp x-64 and I have 32gb in my system.

K-TRON

10. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Virtual Machine(s)... AutoDesk tools, video editing, etc

some or all of the above will quickly eat up ram. The Dell M6500 is one laptop, and there are a few others that MidNightSun mentioned, that offer 4 slots for 16GB total of ram. Albeit, in 4GB modules. Many desktops are available with 16GB or more in RAM.

I agree, 8GB modules won't happen for awhile but I'm always amazed at how quickly advancements in technology occur. They could always create a new standard and increase the number of pins and module size to accommodate more memory chips. *those wouldn't fit in todays laptops of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.