880M Black Screen after Nvidia driver update

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Maxware79, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I'm having a few troubles getting my two Rangers up and running properly. I had a frustrating night trying to get them sorted so any help or advice would be appreciated.
    I'll just deal with the first issue for now.
    I threw an 880M from the parts machine into my white Ranger (with 3D display) and after a few minutes in Windows I got some crazy colors and lines across the display. I'm hoping it's a driver issue and not the card. I decided to do a clean Win10 installation and everything goes well until Windows does it's stupid auto updates which includes the NVidia driver. Once I restart to finish the updates I get black screened.
    Does anyone know what could be causing this or how to get around the auto-update?
    I'm tempted to try to install Windows 7 from an old Alienware CD I have and see how it goes.

2. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sounds like a bad card, plain and simple.

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Do you have an external monitor to plug in by chance?

That would be a good tell if it's just a weird driver issue, especially if you find error 43 in device manager.

Maxware79 likes this.
  4. Maxware79

Reputations:
    Yeah I'll grab my monitor and try after work. Never thought to try it. I assumed it would just carry the issue across to the monitor.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    It's a good first thing to test if its a driver issue.

You should probably disable hardware update or go enterprise Ltsc

6. Maxware79

Reputations:
    After a few failed attempts I did disable the third party hardware update but the stupid thing did it anyway. That's when I gave up.
    Not being allowed to choose your updates has to be one of the most stupid things about Windows 10. I have heard that the Pro version gives you a little more flexibilty. I have a Windows 7 pro disk somewhere so I may have to load that up and then try to do a free Win10 Pro upgrade.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Just use WUB and/or WPD to block access to Micro$lop cancer update servers. Those DCH drivers are rubbish and Windows being able to automatically update drivers and firmware is a recipe for disaster, invented by idiots, for idiots. You should use DDU to rid your system of the DCH virus after blocking access to the update catalog.

8. Maxware79

Reputations:
    Thanks man. I'll try and work through that over the weekend.

Do you get to choose what updates you want to install with those programs or do they just stop the auto-installer completely. Basically an on or off switch.

I still think it's dying card problem. I shouldn't be getting those artifacts after a few minutes. I already have 2 failed 880M's in the drawer so it will probably be 3 soon.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, there is a good chance it is a dying card. But, it would be worth trying nixing the DCH drivers to rule them out.

Those just disable the updates completely like an on/off switch. But, you can use WPD, O&O Shutup 10 or WinAero Tweaker to only disable Windows Automatic Driver Updates. You can also do that with Group Policy.

10. Maxware79

Reputations:
    So what I did last night was a clean Win10 install but I kept wifi off. I used a other PC to download a few basic drivers using a flash drive as well as a standard NVidia driver (425.xx) It still black screens as soon as I restart after the Nvidia install. Nothing on an external monitor either. I can boot up in safe mode without a problem and device manager does show the card as an 880M.
    I even tried to use the last Dell NVidia driver which was 353.XX I think.
    Could a vBIOS help? I’ve never actually flashed one before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk