8770w compatible video cards

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by superman3486, Sep 5, 2016.

1. BazsiBazsi

BazsiBazsi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there a general thread for 8770w-s? Recently got my hands on a really nice model, at a pretty fair price, 3720qm CPU, with 16 GB of ram and a k3000m so I got some questions.
    It surprised me that theres vivid community still build around this machine, and it's awesome. Is there a method for silencing this beast? Not looking for extreme CPU power, the current one is just fine, matches my current desktop speed but the temps are jumping all around in hwmonitor, hitting 85C while just letting windows update run.
    Gonna re-paste with a thermal grizzly kyronaut, liquid metal is not really my thing in a portable machine plus I'd rather avoid re-pasting every 6-12 months, but if theres some epic thermal gains I will consider it. Gonna switch the keyboard for a backlit one, would love the DreamColor display but don't really wanna drop 400+ usd for that one since that's the price I got the machine. Would it make sense to run 2 SSD in raid 0 for more speed? Is it possible to make raid setups with the mSata ports? Any must upgrade that you would recommend? Somewhere along the line, I will swap the GPU for a more powerful one, not really sure what route should I got down, hacking a 1070 or 1060 would be amazing, but compatibility is a question and I only saw it done on Chinese forums, and running a 980 also needs some editing and playing around.

2. dagb

dagb Newbie

Reputations:
    Despite spending quite a few hours browsing, I have not found any specific technical info on what constitues a compatible graphics card. It sounds like both MXM 3.0 type A and B will fit.
    And you need one with LVDS output, unless you have a Dreamcolor panel.
    In addition, you need a compatible vbios.

Am I right so far? Anything important missing? I am not looking at crazy hacks with custom coolers and graphics cards fitted in the drive bay.

Which is the *least* powerhungry graphics card I can pop into a 8770w with DC? and without DC? And ditto for the 8570w? Or is it easier pointing at a videocard generation and say that "there is no Pascal MXM board with LVDS"? For example.

Only tangentially on-topic for the thread, but:
    I have see references to DC, DC2 and DC3. Anyone care to highligt any differences?

Can any 8770w be rebuilt to dreamcolor, provided one can get a hand on the panel, the colorboard and the cable? WWAN is not of interest to me.

Edit:
    The 8770w ships with mxm 3.0b originally, the 8570w with mxm 3.0a.
    Either will physically fit the other, if I understand correctly. How about mxm 3.1?
    Would I have to rebuild the cooling of the 8770w in order to fit a 3.0a card?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  3. Bbv66wuw

Bbv66wuw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I am waiting for my M5000M, it`s on it`s way, I paid $350 USD. You only have to change the GPU heat sink from 1 pipe to 2 pipes. Heat sink it`s about $30 USD on eBay as well.

Not sure if this would answer your questions. You might need a bigger power brick, mine I think its the 230W.

4. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When you get your M5000m, tell me, pls, how % is its ASIC quality, you will find this info in GPU-Z. Thanks in advance!