8770w compatible video cards

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by superman3486, Sep 5, 2016.

1. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, I am - it‘s necessary with the Quadros, not with GTX under Win 10.

2. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hello. congrats on your upgrade. i would like to add that the engineering design to dissipate heat is not great on the 8770w. I would call it very unthoughtful.
    that card isn't really a hot one. however, the temperatures under load above 90% will throttle down the gpu clocks to as low as 8xx mhz on long durations of gaming or rendering. the throttling starts at 87C(no bios mods) whereas the core stands at 1050 boost/962 base.

im not using kryo. but used ceramique 2, cm mastergel nano, noctua nt-h1.
    cm nano gave me the best result followed by cerq.2 then by nt-h1.

3. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    No throttling at all in my case. With prolonged use at 99% load of the gpu, the temps stay at the comfortable range of 64-67C and the gpu clocks are rock stable at 1185Mhz OCed.

4. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Newbie

Reputations:
    I tend to agree about the heat dissipation on these, it is the only bit that wasn't over-engineered.

Those are some amazing temps :vbthumbsup:, that must be a golden chip. I'll have to post back once I finish testing and OC limits on this one. Not sure how this will fare with clocks but I'm betting it should capable of at least as much headroom as a 980M.

Here's a cautionary tale about the importance of good heatsink fit. This issue can be covered up to some degree with thermal paste but becomes painfully obvious on a very thin coat of liquid metal. I evidently had a so-so fit using my K5000M with Kryonaut and it had zero issues.

After getting some rough numbers with a liquid metal application on the M5000M, I set about tearing the 8770w apart for the millionth time. I was using coolaboratory liquid ultra since its a bit less liquid than the IMO thinner conductonaut and I am paranoid about liquid metal application (see pics - moat of paste after 4 layers of clear nail polish in channel around GPU die and kapton tape over this). I had previously been seeing gpu temps at 50-60* idle and 80-90* load. Not good. Removing the heatsink, you could see that only half of the liquid metal on the GPU die was under pressure (pic 1 - ignore the excess paste from my "moat" around the die).

To fix this I did three more rounds of test fitting the heatsink after cleaning and applying a thin "+" of regular past across the die. In this process I switched a few things, first I went with a new x-bracket, technically the same as the one from my previous K5000M but slightly more perfect / flat. This helped even the coverage some but I still had excess paste on one side. I then switched from fujipoly pads on that side to thermal grizzly 1.5mm since the thermal grizzly are less stiff than the fujipoly (pics 3, 4). finally, adjusted a few other thermal pads from either fuji poly or generic to thermal grizzly and final test fit came back almost perfect. A final cleanup and then I reapplied CLU.

TL,DR; Idle temps are now down to 29* C with this M5000M, max load on a stress test comes to 68-71*C

I also decided to switch from paste to CLU with the CPU (previously paste) and dropped load temps from 80+ C to 58-60*C

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      721.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      727.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      528 KB
      Views:
    • idle temps.PNG
      idle temps.PNG
      File size:
      348.1 KB
      Views:
    triturbo and mirage_bg like this.
  5. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    Great job!
    I am just wondering how long it will take until the CLU needs to be repasted?
    I am using i7 3840QM right now, but still considering to upgrade to 3940XM and use LM. But if I have to repaste the CPU every 6 months, I am going to stick with 3840QM as it is really much cooler CPU with its 45W and not much slower at the same time.
    Would you mind to test your current setup with some intensive CPU+GPU tasks (FarCry New Dawn is best for that) and share the CPU temps when GPU is under heavy loads?

P.S. Do you use RAID setup on your system?

6. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Newbie

Reputations:
    I haven't used CLU on a laptop / anything that gets this hot for prolonged periods before, I used conductonaut in the past and it was fine after 2+ years. Conductonaut is thinner though, so I may check and reapply in 6-12 months just in case (or sooner, if I notice significant temp changes).

I don't recommend the 3940xm / 3920xm for our 8770w's. They're awesome CPUs if you can take advantage of the OC headroom but we really can't on the 8770w so performance is within a few percent of the 3840qm while using more power and running much hotter. You could probably get away with repasting once a year with LM and a 3940xm, but you already have the best perf/watt CPU available so I wouldn't bother. Worth mentioning, my CPU regularly spikes over the 55w TDP so the 45w chip at roughly the same spec is definitely preferable.

I don't currently use the RAID setup on this system but I do have a pair of 2.5" 1tb samsung evo's installed, so it's definitely a consideration in the future. I've been burned by RAID 0 in the past though so I'm not eager to repeat that - I wish the MSATA interface ran at SATA 3 speeds, I'd use that for OS and set the 2.5" in RAID 0 if that was the case.

Don't have New Dawn, but I'll install Far Cry 5 and test when I get the chance. Installed BFV yesterday but never got to testing thanks the launcher detecting the Quadro new feature driver as too old for whatever optimizations BFV wanted... setup this workaround script and it seems to launch now.

7. rahasyavadi

rahasyavadi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would like to know how you were burned by RAID 0, if you do not mind explaining what happened.

8. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Newbie

Reputations:
    Not in reference to the Elitebooks, just in general. I was an early adopter consumer RAID 0 motherboards and used them in the late 90's to early 00's. RAID 0 on a few good HDD's was the fastest money could buy at the time (2 WD Velociraptor / 10k drives were the most sought after boot config...).

Anyway, I had a good run of luck with no failures in RAID 0 for years and stopped maintaining my backups properly - I promptly lost a drive and a whole mess of files ranging from documents, music, and family photos. Ever since then, I strictly use RAID 0 as an option for secondary volumes that load software and games and nothing else. I haven't tried, but I suppose I could get a third 2.5" drive loaded into the CD/DVD bay's SATA connector. I'm not positive that bay would run at SATA 3 either (much like the SATA 2 speed on the mSATA slot.

9. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    It won't. I am using 256GB for system, 500 mSata for games and 2 x 2TB - one as a second hdd and one in the optical bay. SATA 2 speeds for mSata and the optical bay, unfortunately. It would be too nice to have 4x SATA 3 though...

10. mirage_bg

Reputations:
    After overclocking my G.Skill DDR3L 1600MHz CL9 RAM to 1866MHz CL10 and heavily overclocking M5000M to 1400MHz core and 2700MHz mem, I got this results, which are ok for 7 y.o. laptop, I think...;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BazsiBazsi and triturbo like this.