8770w compatible video cards

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by superman3486, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Bbv66wuw

Bbv66wuw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I heard someone that installed an K5100M on an 8760W, that's probably the top you could go, but they are kinda pricey on eBay, maybe Taobao has some for less... but talking to those sellers, damn...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

2. Bbv66wuw

Bbv66wuw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, thinking to upgrade my 8770W from ATI 4000M to K5100M...
    Is this just a swap and play deal? Did you had to change the heatsink?

3. kamilo23

kamilo23 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeap you need to change heatsink.

4. buyakabuyaka

buyakabuyaka Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all.

Just need confirmation before I pull the trigger on the K5100M... I currently have the K3000M on my 8770w... do i need get anything else for the upgrade... i see the above message mentioning changing the heatsink... but im guessing thats because its from ATI to NVIDIA. Is it simply just plug in and play?

5. kamilo23

kamilo23 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes you need change heatsink if you have ati and want switch to nvidia but if you have nividia you dont need just plug in. :)

6. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just picked up an MSI GTX 980m on eBay, can anyone possibly confirm if this will work in my 8770w currently equipped with a k4000m? Thanks in advance!

7. nl_dave

nl_dave Newbie

Reputations:
    I can sadly report that it -does not work at all- with a 8760W + dreamcolor

Nvidia M3000M 4 Gb (HP BIOS)
    Nvidia 965M 4 Gb (Clevo BIOS)

with both cards the dreamcolor screen is active with the Microsoft default driver in Windows 10. (normal FHD resolution), no external screens detected
    As soon as the Nvidia 390.65 driver gets installed (but I also tried the here mentioned 372.90) the dreamcolor screen goes to black and the external screen which I have on the docking station (DVI) gets active. The dreamcolor screen is not detected in the Nvidia control panel and if I boot without docking station the display stays black while I can hear the Windows welcome sound. I have installed the most recent BIOS update but that doesn't help. Cannot find any other suitable VBIOS rom to flash, so I am running out of options I am afraid.

:-/

8. nl_dave

nl_dave Newbie

Reputations:
    Right...

Another update. As it seems impossible for me to fix the Maxwell on a 8760W DC2 display combination, I bought yesterday an used 8770W with FHD display. In another topic I am talking about the Dreamcolor transition (which was unsuccesful ) .. Here I want to report what my experience is with the Nvidia 965M 4 Gb (Clevo BIOS) on a 8770W FHD configuration.

And I have to say... It works! But not with some resistance.

I experienced some pretty heavy color banding, the whole screen looked like a disaster to be honest. Unsharp, no gradients and vertical bands which where there or not depending on the contrast/gamma setting but as I changed those settings the banding would appear somewhere else on the screen. To be in short it was bad.

I found an ICC color profile for this FHD display (AUO219D) in an Asus Splendid package. Installed color profile G750JX_10DE_AF06219D.icm @windows 10 color panel config. It made the screen a little bit color warmer, which was needed.. But.. The banding was still there.

In the end I could fix it by changing the monitor frequency to 59 Hz or 61 Hz in the Nvidia control panel! I am absolutely stunned by that because I nowhere on the internet read about that before. So anyone dealing with this problem, take a look at that.

Now I wonder if my DC2 panel also was running on 59 Hz instead of 60 Hz, I have some vague memory of that, will check it out later.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    TenGauge likes this.
  9. materijalmen

materijalmen Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

as for the dreamcolor display mod, do I have to change the panel, or simply there is something hidden in the notebook so that when You change the graphic card, the display unlocks and thats it?
    Do You know maybe, if there is any dreamcolor display for Dell, or this is only for HP?
    What would be a decent upgrade from K3000m?

10. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dreamcolor is a panel upgrade. You will need not only a DC panel but also the accompanying color card. The DC panel is a 50 pin eDP panel where our motherboard headers are 40 pin LVDS connectors. The color card has a 40 pin output to the motherboard and a 50pin input for the 10bit IPS DreamColor panel. DreamColor is not video card dependent, it will work with any 8770w compatible video card.

The Dell version of DreamColor is called "PremierColor."