8770w compatible video cards

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by superman3486, Sep 5, 2016.

1. superman3486

superman3486 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    am looking to upgrade form a fire pro m4000, perhaps I can compile a working list from this thread for other peeps scouring the net for confirmed working upgrade-able cards :)

2. artpra

artpra Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    K3000M (? vBIOS)
    K5100M (Dell vBIOS)
    970M 6GB (Prema 1.1.1. vBIOS)
    980M 8GB (Prema 1.1.1. vBIOS)

all tested personally by me (with F61 BIOS), all working fine (plug and play with stock Nvidia heatsink), visible in BIOS, recognized in Windows (non UEFI installation too), inf modding required for all except K3000M.

superman3486 and triturbo like this.
  3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Great work! It would be nice to say DreamColor or nonDC, since some work with the DC and some don't.

4. artpra

artpra Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All of them tested with standard fHD screen (nonDC) but guess what - managed to grab a Dreamcolor one (YESSSSS!) so I will test it with K5100M (only with it, rest of the cards are gone, sold them).
    Will report ASAP.

superman3486 and win32asmguy like this.
  5. triturbo

Reputations:
    Congrats on getting the DreamColor, it's WELL worth it. Still one of the best displays around.

That's too bad. I wanted to see how the 9x0m deal with the DC. A user claimed that someone was running 9x0m GPU fine on DC 8770w, or it was 8760w. Either way, I never found such thing and he didn't post a link either, even though I asked. Why so curious? Because it has severe grayscale issues on DC 8740w. The K5100 would run fine, no worries there.

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I am curious about this too. It would seem that the 87*0w/85*0w bios is far more flexible than the Zbook 15 / 17 is. Did these models support graphics switching?

7. triturbo

Reputations:
    At least the 8740w didn't and I think the 8760w as well. Not sure about 8770w. None of the DC models have switching, that's for sure.

8. artpra

artpra Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    WOW! I knew that there will be difference in picture quality, but this is on another level! Amazing colors, amazing angles, it`s great to finally work with calibrated screen in Lightroom. Sooooooo worth it and swap itself was far easier than I thought. There is only one small con - with 8770w, you are loosing WWAN connectivity (no more space left in display assembly? problems with interference?) but it`s really a small one. Picture quality is far more important for me.
    Like You said, K5100M is working with it like a charm, no issues spotted, full Kepler compatibility. I`m wondering: 9x0M issues are because of Maxwell technology (and with Maxwell based Quadros it will be the same) or is it because of GeForce nature? It will be interesting to try let say M3000M and see, anybody?

BTW - whole display assembly have exactly the same thickness as my old one (fHD matte nonDC), I though that DC screens are thicker? Maybe HP changed something in production (newer revision, mine is from 03/2016) allowing smaller size.

I can confirm that 8770w does not allow any graphics switching - Intel GPU is completely disabled and unaccessible.

9. triturbo

Reputations:
    This. All of the older DC models lack the WWAN as well.

I think that it's because Maxwell's color compression, since GTX 780m works fine with DC 8740w. Someone has to try these Maxwell Quadros. The Precisions are 8bit for sure, and I have my doubts about the new 4K DreamColors.

It's the same for HPs, Precisions have different thickness depending on the display (PremierColor or not). The DC assemblies have a concave in which the ColorBoard goes into. I you haven't seen a display assembly - the outer shell is made of metal, the internal structure out of magnesium, and this internal structure has a hole/protrusion/find-a-better-word for the CB, so no need for the assembly to be thicker. One can argue that it compromises the structural rigidity, but I can live with that and it passes the MIL-SPEC as well.

10. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The new Zbook G3 Dreamcolor displays seem to be compatible with WWAN, as they are now configurable with it. I am also skeptical that the new Dreamcolor displays are 10-bit. I suppose another way to verify it would be in the Nvidia Control Panel "Change Resolution" pane. My displays (desktop and laptop) have always had a 10-bit/8-bit/6-bit dropdown selection item.

On a side note, do you guys think that it would be worth it to go from a K2100M 2GB to a K2200M 4GB for $280 (USD). Pascal mobile quadros are probably still a long way off, and once they are released who knows if the Zbook 15 G1 w/Dreamcolor will even work with one installed.