8740W Benching/Specs Thread

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Siorah, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Great temps! But something is wrong with your ambient temp, lol. 29C on the HDD? That's about 10C lower than mine, and those aren't affected by the fan.
    My conclusion is your "real" ambient is much lower than 24C (more like 18-20C), or you have an extremely nice and cool airflow in the vicinity of the laptop.

Can't wait to see the cooling mod results! :)

2. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    bah yea, i did have a fan on but it wasn't aimed at the laptop, but it could have affected the temps.

still it looks good to see temps that low lol

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Lol, yeah. My first reaction was - "WTH?!!" :)

4. Siorah

Reputations:
    yea also one thing i did have to do, was the 720qm had issues with the 32gb setup, was gonna post, i've gone back to 4x4gb atm, if i put any of the 8gb sticks in windows would give me a stop 0x1A 'memory management' error on bootup, swapped ram - no problems.

i'll let you know if i find out what causes it - so we have a solution for those people who are running 8GB sodimm solutions.

saddens me to see it sitting in a case though.

Sio

5. Siorah

Reputations:
    posting to bring this back to the first page, and to update on the 32gb BSOD issue.

Seemed there was a security setting in the bios.

I had to reset all passwords and security levels, and bang, BSOD gone on 32gb on non XM chips.

620M only sees 2x8gb@1066mhz

520M only sees 2x8gb@1066mhz

720QM sees 4x8gb@1333mhz

740QM sees 4x8gb@1333mhz

920XM sees 4x8gb@1333mhz

seemed the bios upgrade to F.0A helped in my fixing on this issue.

6. Siorah

Reputations:
    ok

to save with questions, i'm going to post all the known working memory configurations i have personally tested in the 8740W/8540W (thanks to a workmate being on holiday!)

Code:
    =========================================================================================================
    |Matched Pair Setups (QUAD CORE MOTHERBOARD)	NOTE 1							|
    =========================================================================================================
    |CPU	|4x8G	|4x4G	|4x2G	|4x1G	|4x512M	|2X8G	|2x8G	|2X8G	|2x4G	|2x2G	|2x1G	|1333Mhz|
    |	|	|	|	|	|	|2x4G	|2x2G	|2x1G	|2x2G	|2x1G	|2x512M	|1066Mhz|
    |940XM	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|No^	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|No^	|Both	|
    |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |920XM	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|No^	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|No^	|Both	|
    |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |840QM	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes	|Both	|
    |820QM	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|No^	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|No^	|Both	|
    |740QM	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes	|Both	|
    |720QM	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|No^	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|Yes"	|No^	|Both	|
    |640M*	|No^	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|No^	|No^	|No^	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|1066	|
    |620M*	|No^	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|No^	|No^	|No^	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|1066	|
    |540M*	|No^	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|No^	|No^	|No^	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|1066	|
    |520M*	|No^	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|No^	|No^	|No^	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|1066	|
    |Matched Pair Setups DUAL CORE MOTHERBOARD	Note 1							|
    |CPU	|2x8G	|2x4G	|2x2G	|2x1G	|2x512M	|1X8G	|1x8G	|1X8G	|1x4G	|1x2G	|1x1G	|1333Mhz|
    |	|	|	|	|	|	|1x4G	|1x2G	|1x1G	|1x2G	|1x1G	|1x512M	|1066Mhz|
    |940XM	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|No^	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|No^	|Both	|
    |920XM	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|No^	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|No^	|Both	|
    |840QM	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|No^	|Both	|
    |820QM	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|No^	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|No^	|Both	|
    |740QM	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|No^	|Both	|
    |720QM	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|No^	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|Yes+@	|No^	|Both	|
    |640M*	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|1066	|
    |620M*	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|1066	|
    |540M*	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|1066	|
    |520M*	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|Yes+	|1066	|

Note 1: Dual core boards will accept Quad core chips, however you need to install the Quad core heatsink,
    and flash bios to F0.9(8740W) F.0C(8540w). You will also need to do this if you are running 8GB SODIMMS.
    The system will run at 1333Mhz if you have a quad chip in a dual core motherboard, but it does increase temps by ~3-8c

Notes:

^ - System Doesn't Start with this configuration
    * - Dual Cores Cannot see more than 16GB on any configuration, AND will downclock the system to 1066Mhz even
    if RAM speed is higher.
    " - Will run in Dual Channel Mode if same speed pairs. so 2x4gb 1333 + 2x2gb 1333 will run at 1333Mhz
    + - System doesn't run in dual Channel Mode with these setups
    @ - Works also in a quad core board, if the slot is used not to match with the other stick.

For example slot 1/3 are a matched pair and 2/4 are a matched pair. you can put a 4g in slot 1 and an 8gb in slot 2/4 but not
    slot 3 as it will cause the system to BSOD a lot if it starts at all that is.

YOU CAN MIX SPEEDS. 1066 or 1333 in different slots. the system will downclock to the lowest. HOWEVER you cannnot mix speeds between matched
    pairs. It only works in this configuration with an @ sign for quad cores.

It is not advisable to have a matched pair and a single stick on a quad core motherboard, as windows seems to not like it much. As well you will lose dual channel support, so in effect you would be slowing the system down instead of speeding it up!!!

However, it does work with 2 + 1 stick configs, but if you do lots of memory intensive work, it can be detrimental to your application if you don't have dual channel mode. if you just want ram space, then it does work with this setup.

I swear this forum owes me a ton of CPU paste >.> lol

EDIT:

SINCE BIOS UPDATE F.0A/F.0D SOME OF THE ABOVE CONFIGURATIONS (FOR DUAL CORE PROCESSORS IN A QUAD BOARD) CAN CAUSE THE SYSTEM NOT TO START.
    I AM UNSURE WHY THIS HAS OCCURRED, BUT BEAR IT IN MIND. A DUAL CORE CANNOT SEE MORE THAN 16GB. 4X2GB AND 4X4GB ON 620M/520M CAN SOMETIMES NOT START IF IT IS NOT ALL THE SAME MEMORY TYPE/MANUFACTURER

triturbo likes this.
  7. Siorah

Reputations:
    I don't mind if we open this up for 8540W owners as well, as both systems are very similar.

So feel free to add to the information

8. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    I've been running 2x4 GB + 1x2 GB on my 8740w for 2 months now with no real issues... apart from the fact that if it's been on for a while, it takes a while to shutdown, a factor I suspect has something to do with pagefile. So that's one anecdotal vote against the matched pair and a single stick being a problem on a quad core motherboard. Oh, and for the record, quad-core motherboard, i7-740QM.

9. Siorah

Reputations:
    you won't be running in dual channel mode though, i did notice a slowdown when i put in a third stick on it's own. it works but it was slower on my 8740 lol

but for +2gb ram, whats the point lol.

10. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    Enh, it was the stock 2 GB stick that the machine came with before the upgrade. I don't do the memory intensive stuff that you do, though, so I'm liable to notice less of a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.