8740W Benching/Specs Thread

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Siorah, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Thanks, I don't think you have to re-run the tests.
    Stability test it is. I used the same Furmark ver.
    Do you have a cooler pad? I'm amazed with the low GPU temps.
    I even tried elevating the bottom of the notebook and lower the room temp by a few degrees, - not even close to your results. It almost seems like your GPU has a better contact with the HS.
    I guess we need more tests from other members with similar configs.

2. Voltherd

Voltherd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did rerun the test, just to be sure, and extended it to 15 minutes, watching the temperatures carefully throughout testing. This was done in the same room, same bench, same position, same ambient conditions as yesterday.

Furmark, Stability test mode, 1920x1200 fullscreen. For the first test, the fan setting was auto, not forced.

At the 5 minute mark, the highest temperature measured was 78c, completely consistent with my 77c yesterday. The temperature seems to bounce around by at least +/- 1c so I'll call that within margin of error.

The graph appeared to be approaching an asymptote around 80 degrees, so I let Furmark run longer. It crossed each of these thresholds at the following times:

79c @ 5:26
    80c @ 5:50
    81c @ 6:39
    82c @ 6:58
    83c @ 7:42
    84c @ 8:19
    85c @ 8:52

At 85c, the fan throttled up higher and the temperatures started to fall. It never again hit 85c and at the 10 minute mark, the temperatures were consistently 80-82c. After 15 minutes, there was no further change. The temperatures stabilized between 79-82c and never again hit 83 or higher.

I then let the GPU temp fall to idle (observed 45c this time) and revved up the fan with HWinfo. With the fan forced this time, I again got a similar result at 5:00 minutes: 73c, just a bit higher than yesterday. Like the auto fan setting, the temperatures continued to rise slightly after the 5 minute mark:

74c @ 5:24
    75c @ 6:25
    76c @ 7:47
    77c @ 9:48

At that point, the temperature stayed in the 73-77c range out until 15 minutes, when I stopped the test. However, just before stopping, at about 15:08, I saw a single sample at 78c.

So in my case here, 5 minutes of Furmark isn't enough to reach a stable temperature, but it looks like 10 minutes is enough.

3. Voltherd

Reputations:
    About conditions: The computer wasn't on a cooler of any kind, nor was it tilted in any way to increase airflow. Just resting on its feet on a desk. But that was a thick desk with a very flat, hard, smooth synthetic surface. Also my 8740w is "low-miles" right now and probably has hardly any dust and dirt in its fan and heatsink. Heat sinks, fans, and vents tend to accumulate dirt over time which reduces their efficiency.

4. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Thank you for running the tests again. I did the same thing @lower room temp of 23.5C and got similar results to yours on the GPU part and a bit lower on the CPU, which is consistent with your results considering the modified CPU HS in my system.
    You're right, dust can affect the temps but my older tests (you can see in the review section) were done on a fresh system out of the box and already then the temps were much higher, the CPU would hit 86C in 3Dmark06. Now it only gets to 68C.

5. gr0m1t

gr0m1t Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Once I get mine, I'll run some of these tests. I'm pretty sure it'll be a similar config (minus the HS mod, of course) - i7-840QM, M7820, 256SSD

6. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I reran the tests @24C room temp to stay consistent with Siorah's benching:

All testing is done with the modded CPU heatsink!
    ===============

Room Temp: 24c

Specs
    ------

Bios: F.0A

CPU: 840QM

RAM: 16GB

GPU: FirePro M7820

HDD: 250GB 7200RPM

Screen: DC2

Region (Country): Canada

Quad Core Heatsink?: Yes

====================================

Temperature Tests

====================================

run tests for 5 minutes - on furmark, please if you hit temps of 95c or above, end them. put ~95c on the results. Ensure you have RealTemp and GPU-Z during these, so you have a good result.

For Fan, follow the HWINFO32 thread to get this software, and run the forced fan tests.

CPU (Prime 95)
    ---------------

IDLE: 46c

Fan IDLE: 37c

LOADED: 85c (the system will always reach 85C peak since on auto settings the fan stays @60% rpm till 85C)

Fan LOADED: 75c

Idle after 15 minutes: 46c

GPU (Furmark - See WARNING above!)
    ----------------------------------

IDLE: 44c

Fan IDLE: 39c

LOADED: 85c (same here, the system slowly reaches 85C and then the fan will hit 100% rpm and lower the temp by a few degrees)

Fan LOADED: 78c

Idle after 15 minutes: 44c

=============================

GPU+CPU

=============================

LOADED: CPU: 87C GPU: 85C

Fan LOADED: CPU: 86C GPU: 82C

Run Prime and Furmark together. If you get temps of 95c or over, cancel the tests!

A side note: It seems that more time is needed till temperature equilibrium is reached, about 30min.

7. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    ok i'll throw in the reason why i stated to run furmark for only 5 mins

1) Under normal everyday operation you will never ever stress the GPU like that.

2) 5 minutes of furmark equates to about 25+ minutes of a GPU Render in 3DS Max - where the GPU does the calculations, not the cpu. this is the max stress you can give the gpu under normal circumstances.

3) Furmark can kill the gpu if you're really unlucky! the heating system inside these machines is adequate for gpu rendering and suchlike, but i'm sure they would notice damage by furmark.

4) I don't like unneccessarily stressing out the system - 5 mins is a good 'aiming' temp for furmark. it would be the max your system goes to under production/video work.

Hope this clears things up.

The temps collected are fine, i really just don't like furmark as a 'benchmark' myself. i've had to fix so many computers burnt out by that software because people don't know how to use it properly.

Sio

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    ^^ I agree. Furmark is an "overkill". I ran Prime95 for 30min+, it seems that the temps stabilize 3-4C above the 5min run. Which isn't too bad. Still, I wish the cooling was better :(

9. Voltherd

Reputations:
    I agree, too. I expect it will never be so stressed again. I was also sitting staring at the temp monitors for all 15 minutes, ready to kill the test immediately if I felt the need.

However, it is nice to know the thermal headroom is there for the GPU in the 8740w case design. That cannot be said of many laptops.

Note that I also did NOT vounteer to repeat the Prime+Furmark test!

10. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    well, i've switched back to the 720qm, as it seemed my 920xm decided to 'die' on me (before i was going to overclock it btw!) just waiting for them to replace it.

i've changed cpu paste to the Antec Silver one. Room Ambient 24c

i did some tests with my old girl, and excuse the big piccies, but i get these temps WITHOUT the heatsink mod i'm getting ready to put in!! (and i thought i would prove the values lol)

Fans maxed test.

This is IDLE

[​IMG]

This is with prime95 max heat test!

[​IMG]

just like O_O;

Prime 95 had been running for 6 mins btw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.