8700K temps in Clevo P7xTM1's

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by woodzstack, Dec 3, 2017.

1. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    This was using just a repaste, to change ICD7 for Kryonot. The supplier had already did a delid. (did not check it yet)
    [​IMG]

After reinspecting the delid and redoing it and lapping the IHS and getting the dried up super glue off and doing it right.
    [​IMG]

I have another system, not the same system but these temps are in the 95C+ range at stock with ICD7.

The bench I used was simply XTU Benchmarking, 2350-2375 on averages.

Anyone else wish to share thier experiences ?

I personally think you have to take note of a few facts.
    1) the 8700K is even cheaper built then the 7700, it's silicon is so thin, I literally was afraid I would break it.
    2) the temps with 6 cores is crazy, and without better mod support, the power draw is crazy. XTU refuses to work properly yet in this series P7xTM1's
    3) undervolts do not stick, but with lower temps the voltage seems to stick around 1.35v area.
    4) it throttles thermally, power limit throttle and current limit throttle too.
    5) no matter what or how bad the testing semss, these 8700K kick some serious ace ! (like minimum +25% performance on 7700K)

@Tb5... this is your CPU BTW.

2. dspboys

dspboys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1.35V is too high for stock. Even in Windows 7, it is only set to 1.25V. Can you try static voltage? Try using between 1.08-1.1V for stock frequency. Where are you undervolting, is it via bios or the CCC? If it does not stick, you may need to have TS on autostart.

3. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    XTU settings do not stick. I also have witnessed the bios settings not sticking either. It acts a bit funny. Keep in mind anyone reading this, that's not insanely crazy enthusiast, that this laptop and cpu is actually still amazing, just not as perfected as say what we have with the 6700K after two years of using it.

I tried static, but it switched right back to adaptive. I had set 1.2 and it looked like it would keep that (tried lower before that) but it reverted as well.

4. dspboys

dspboys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh, it seems the only option is to have throttlestop in startup to correctly apply the voltage.

5. Captainflo22

Captainflo22 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, i just bough this awesome Laptop P775TM1-G with the fresh new 8700K

i'm not very happy with the management App Clevo Control Center, the fan run so hurry, even when is idle, the temp going high for nothing, and i'm a very newby in the windows world (was mac addict since few month with the new **** of 3K€ who already has been on start)

i seek all this forum to found a solution (Obsidian, Premamod,...) but without real answer

what can i do to make it better?
    thank you

hmscott likes this.
  6. Alonclake

Alonclake Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Fans should be almost silent in idle. Is ur system overclocked? Run cpuz to see it should downclock to around 900mhz in idle, around no more than 40c with fans barely audible
    What temp you reading in hwmonitor?

7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're the first person on this forum which I've seen who doesn't flat out lie. Thank you for that mate.

I know how to cooling of the P870tm which is basicially the same as previous generation with extra added heatsink without a fan (yeah, idk either) and a little extra added heatpipe. I was wondering what they tried to do in the P7xx series, so could you maybe add a picture of the cooling system?

8. Alonclake

Alonclake Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I take it you mean the package was super thin rather than the silicon itself being particularly thinner than normal?

10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They didn't bother to change the cooling system at all :eek:

At least in the 870 they tried something , altough failed miserably.

EDIT: Nevermind, they made it even worse, they removed the 4th heatpipe :vbeek: