860m is a Beast

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by HaloGod2012, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I can't comment on FSX, but I do have X-Plane 10.35 if it helps - W2XP scenery, HD Mesh v3, Mister X6 and ISDG scenery. Cloud density settings set to 40%, I can reach 20-30 FPS with extremely heavy cloud cover. Frame-rates exceed 45 FPS with more moderate cloud cover. Oh, and all this was with the Flightfactor 777-200LR. All were in 1920x1080 resolution.

I have tried FSX but found X-Plane to be more modern and suited to my needs.

The main limiter for any flight simulator is VRAM, and in the case of FSX, VAS. X-Plane is limited on my system because of the comparatively low VRAM - 2 GB, which happens to be the minimum nowadays - most GPUs come with around 3-4 GB standard.

karasahin and killkenny1 like this.
  2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    The main limiter of any flight simulator is usually CPU speed, and single or dual core speed at that. I don't know how more vRAM would help with a GPU like 860m, because 2GB should be more than adequate. Just that more detail and more scenery you add will contribute to more vRAM required but also a lot more GPU power. I doubt even if you had a 4GB 860m that it would perform better in any scenario. I know as a fact that FSX won't benefit from any more vRAM.

3. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I can get near right near +775 on the memory but sadly I am locked onto +135 for the core.

sigh that's just too bad. I've maxed the core +135/+775 for the memory and my temps hover around 65C. There is soooo much more room for improvement ugh. A poster on the Omen forum said he found a solution for it but I couldn't get it to work and he hasn't posted in a month eff

4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Real shame no one here tried 860m with Prepar3d 2.x. Other info I searched on the web isn't very conclusive, and there isn't much on Avsim either.
    I will move away from FSX to P3D 2.x which has DX11, tesselation, etc, so would really know what I would be stepping in if I decide to choose 860m path. As for VRAM, I'm hardly concerned about it, because this card would hits its performance limit before running out of RAM. I just would really like to know where that performance limit lies...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  5. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Try X-Plane 10.

6. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Sorry, but X-Plane has no PMDG stuff (yet), particularly 737NG, and it's unknown when IXEG is gonna finish developing their 737CL. Also, Q400 sucks on X-Plane. Nowhere near Majestic's version of Q400 for FSX/Prepar3d.
    And last but not least, I already have invested quite a bit of money into addons for FSX which some are compatible with P3D. If I choose to use XP legally, it will be a suicide financially to my wallet.

7. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Fair enough - I wouldn't want to switch over to FSX either, mainly because I spent too much on X-Plane.

8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Oh snap - I completely forgot about CPU. However, X-Plane is *extremely* multi-threaded - I use all four cores at max speed while running it. The makers (Laminar Research) say that it's better to have multi-core, even multiple physical CPUs if you want to jack up the flight models and certain graphical stuff like cars, objects and trees.

About VRAM, you'd be surprised. It's pretty easy to exceed 2 GB with payware scenery, and even most of the better-quality freeware ones.

Whenever I start lagging in X-Plane, it's because I run out of VRAM, like when I'm on descent and final approach to a thickly-populated city. The GPU isn't terribly stressed in terms of computational power unlike in first-person shooters and recent RPGs which have complex shadows and other fancy eye-candy, but X-Plane is very VRAM-intensive.

9. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have MSI ge60 with 850m (overclocked to 860m level) and i7 4710, is there any way to get trial version of Prepar3D? I would love to try it, but I don't want to commit to something I may not like, I could post the results for you as well. Also what's academic license, is that for teachers only, or also students?

10. killkenny1

Reputations:
    There is no trial version unfortunately. Only thing that comes close is to get a subscription for a single month.
    Academic license should be also available for students as well.
    Anyway, I've decided to build a desktop, so I have no more interest in knowing how well 860m performs in P3D.
    Thanks for everyone who responded to my question!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.