860m is a Beast

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by HaloGod2012, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It seems like the 860m (or 960m) gets a lot of optimisations from Nvidia, and therefore has an advantage despite being a "midrange" chip only. However this could be false impressions because so many people make videos on youtube praising how great all these games run on high settings (except maybe AC:Unity / Dragon Age Inquisition).

Aside from custom vBIOS, is it really such a wonder-gpu with lots of Nvidia support?

2. Jaggyjags

Jaggyjags Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, it's the perfect balance for me. Laptops with it can keep a thin profile with no thermal throttle, low noise and can run any game you throw at it on high settings at 1080p.
    You can choose better fps at maxed settings but at the cost of a beefier and heavy machine with the top cards.

Owning a V17 nitro by Acer.

Eric Auer and franzerich like this.
  3. vinny3

vinny3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh definitely. An overclocked 860m plus an undervolted i7-4100hq equals a cool running beast of a combo.

Rocking a gigabyte P34G V2, and I never go past 80c for the GPU or CPU.

PaKii94, franzerich and Eric Auer like this.
  4. Eric Auer

Eric Auer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the GTX860m on a recently bought Lenovo Y50 and so far I am very happy with it.

I agree that it allows for a notebook with good graphics power in a slim package.

I have not personally had any need to overclock it yet.

Nice combo with the I7-4720HQ.

Eric

5. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am going to have the same combo in my omen that should hopefully arrive this week. Could you post your numbers? How high were you able to push it? Also, I don't have much experience in undervolting. Does that reduce the CPU performance? Is it because we usually don't max out the CPU anyway?

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Undervolting just makes it run cooler and use less power at load, not to reduce CPU performance. It's like overclocking but the opposite. You optimize voltage for the stock CPU speed for best thermal and power performance.

PaKii94 likes this.
  7. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Actually undervolting usually results in an overclock of the chip since it drops the power consumption so it does both.

TomJGX likes this.
  8. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Confused here. Undervolting is the opposite of overvolting. Underclocking is the opposite of overclocking. No?

Also what Ethrem said as far as Haswell is concerned.

9. vinny3

vinny3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, my bios is locked so I maxed out at +168 mhz core. But I saw that sebi managed to surpass an 870m on BF4 with an unlocked bios. I undervolted the CPU to -85mv and achieved about 3 degrees cooler with, to my surprise, a performance increase, probably because it throttled less. I actually noticed the biggest difference in temps by underclocking core 3 and 4 of the CPU achieving about 7 degrees, and no noticeable loss in performance. Finally, repasting is a no brainer as it gave me another 3-5 degrees and was super easy on my machine. So now I sit in the 70's, where stock I was at a consistent 91c. I would overcook a turkey with that kind of heat.

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Well, it's same concept, just optimizing performance for the voltage or voltage for the CPU speed, po-tay-toe, po-ta-toe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.