8600M GT, artifacts, crashing, overheating, freezing... could this be the end?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JTF2, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTF2

JTF2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Called them to confirm my RMA after faxing my invoice last night, they had the wrong name and email address on file. They also had my location as Ontario Ohio, instead of Ontario Canada. Oh well, all is good, they are picking it up tomorrow. One thing I disliked is they don't provide an obvious way to negotiate a pickup time, the RMA just runs through their system and straight to the courier, then an email is sent to me. Fortunately someone (not me) will be home between the 6 hour time span they indicated, so I don't have to leave my laptop out in the cold, for anyone to steal.

One thing I did appreciate was their customer support was very friendly and helpful, and rather fluent in English.

Not sure why so many people have suggested I replace the GPU, I never realized MXM was that common that everyone just assumes :confused:

That's quite respectable of Dell. I'm not that bothered though, Asus' 2 year warranty is standard, and they are providing free pick-up and return at my house (might I add in very quick time, pickup is tomorrow after calling in yesterday). I'm just keeping my fingers crossed, that, along with much more life out of my laptop, my laptop doesn't get damaged in shipping. The short notice hasn't left me much time to buy bubble wrap, lol.

@Miller... your first sentence doesn't make a lot of sense, you said you can get an 8600M GT to 70, but then you say CPU.

And yeah, playing World in Conflict in constant snow was fun while trying to get my pictures (but not actually). What is pretty cool, which I never realized, is that when you pause the game with Esc, you can still look around the battlefield, so you can see time-frozen explosions, artillery shots, smoke from landing shells, etc, from different angles.

Quite lucky, I suppose? Lol.

Maybe you are one of the lucky ones that has escaped the 8xxx curse :)

2. thinkpad knows best

thinkpad knows best Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Haha, well since my Quadro FX 570M derived from the 8600M GT runs at a max of high 70's-83C, and i live in a place where it is in the high -20's right now, maybe i'll play GTA 4 outside one day and report back on the temps, could achieve a world record for lowest gaming temps!

3. Stuart Kay Reilly

Stuart Kay Reilly Newbie

Reputations:
    I guess thats why the laptops with 8600m's are normally pretty cheap on ebay. they're guaranteed to die.

Man, thats what i get for wanting to save money. luckily my toshiba's 2 years old now and i've had it for about 3 weeks and haven't had death threatening problems yet. Although I have had it slow down during a game pretty bad once.

I'm definitely gonna get me a cooler and hope for the best.

Whats a good quality cooler that'd fit under a 17' lappy?

4. -Amadeus Excello-

-Amadeus Excello- Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:

Meant to say that while I have a hard time getting the GPU up there I have had the CPU at 100C once or twice.

6. thinkpad knows best

thinkpad knows best Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not guaranteed to fail, some people will game on them till they're outdated, with no failures or signs of failure. My T61p is 2.5 years old and it's 570M (which is the GDDR3 8600M GT) has shown zero signs of failure, GTA IV runs fine on it, needs more RAM to completely fix stuttering though.