8600M GT, artifacts, crashing, overheating, freezing... could this be the end?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JTF2, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $immond$

$immond$ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Its an Asus, it suffers the same problem as mine, shoddy and poorly constructed. My vid card seems to be hitting the bucket as well. With Asus you have to go high end or nothing, otherwise there low to mid end products don't last.

A reason why I switched to Gigabyte and Intel for my motherboards and such.

2. thinkpad knows best

thinkpad knows best Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmmm, try this program, some say that if this program doesn't heat the GPU to max, nothing else will.

3. Histidine

Histidine Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Definitely call and see if you can ship it in for the warranty! Asus has a good reputation for their warranty support, and there's probably a reason for that. Regardless of whether the GPU is going to die soon, it shouldn't be doing what it's doing. You paid for a fully-functioning product, and you're guaranteed to have a fully-functioning product as long as it's under warranty.

You can't judge a company based on a failing 8600m. The 8600m's were a catastrophe for nVidia, and for all companies that used them in their laptops. A failed video card says nothing about the company's build quality, motherboards, screens, etc.

4. thinkpad knows best

Reputations:
    Damn that's shameful for Lenovo to be on the farther spectrum of the failure rates... Especially since they control the way ThinkPads will be, shameful. I'll guarantee you that failure rates for ThinkPads were way lower when it was owned by IBM.

5. JTF2

JTF2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, so I finally had some spare time to get some pics of the artifacts. I called ASUS and got an RMA #, faxed them my receipt and awaiting what was supposed to be an "immediate" email with instructions for shipping.

I don't think I actually mentioned that the overheating only happens with gaming. I hope that's not a problem.
    They said they would perform "diagnostic" tests on my computer to find the problem, and asked me if they could do a factory reset if they had to (I asked them what good that would do, and she admitted, "nothing", but they might anyway):mad: .

I'll be sending a couple pictures with the notebook, maybe a CD with pictures and a video or two as well.

Here's a couple pictures, for your browsing pleasure
    deskop
    in-game
    more, worse desktop
    in game video

Wish me luck guys!:)

6. Necromas

Necromas Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It would be nice if you just had to send them the card and they could send you a new one.

When my hard drive went bad under warranty dell sent me a new one right away and let me keep the bad one for a week after getting the new one before sending it back so I could back everything up.

P.S. It looks like it's snowing in World in Conflict.

7. thinkpad knows best

Reputations:
    Weee Want Mxm, We Want Mxm, We Want Mxm, We Want Mxm!!! Lol

8. badadee

badadee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    75 degrees lol
    I have had my acer 5920g for 2.5 years and on the last day of 2009 the 8600m gt card blew. After 2.5 years of gaming at 90+ degrees Celsius, it died painlessly.

9. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    The most I can get the 8600M GT up to in my laptop is 70C. CPU ...

The card is replaceable, no? Upgrade time!

10. Partizan

Partizan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    2 years, 3 months, and still running ^^ (although with ocassional purple spikes...the laptopcooler fixed the rainbow sparks and black screenfreezes though).