8600M GS F.E.A.R., 3dmark06, underclock, stock, OC Benchmark

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by minxshin, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. link1313

link1313 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    LFC do you mind posting screenshots of your x1600 scores?

I know my card only got 13FPS average on max cpu/max gpu on F.E.A.R, I didn't think the x1600 could get to 38 at max.

2. LFC

LFC Ex-NBR

Reputations:
    Sorry, ignore that. I have 3 settings lowered to medium and SS off :p Didn't read the post, just looked at the pictures

I'm going back to sleep. Very impressive results btw

3. tianh

tianh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    what program did you use to overclock it? and your drivers for the card

4. minxshin

minxshin Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Well, it is true that in game performance matters the most. The 8x00 Nvidia series is very important because it is the first line of video cards that fully support dx10. However, it seems like the general consensus is that the 8600 shouldn't even be considered an upgrade from the go 7600/7700 line and that the results are disappointing etc etc. However, I think this should only affect people who own laptops with the 7600~7950 GTX. I will agree that for those people, if you are happy with your performance, then it is not worth upgrading, mainly because there aren't many games that support dx10 right now. But for the people who were and still are holding onto their money because they want a DX10 capable card, I think that the 8600M GS is an excellent choice because it balances performance and battery life. The reason that I'm posting my benchmark scores is so that people can get an idea of the performance, in 3dmark and games. Does anyone have any requests on games that I should benchmark?

5. minxshin

Reputations:
    I used rivatuner to overclock. I used the stock drivers that came with the samsung notebook. I get an error message whenever I try to install drivers from the nvidia website:confused:

6. GlueEater

GlueEater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Very nice, more than expected from the GSs I gotta admit.

Does the GS turbochache? Is that why the 3GB will almost double your performance/scores? Or is that because of the 1GB vista uses up.

And say you have a card with on die, how do you think the extra 1GB will do then?

7. minxshin

Reputations:
    The GS turbocaches yes. I think that may be why we see such a huge performance jump when we increase another gig. Although I am not sure, please ask ken lee, he can probably explain it better. I don't understand your last question...

8. Jason

Jason Overclocker NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Some good info. Thanks for your post. Shows very well how OC effects benchmarks and games etc.

9. X-29

X-29 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You asked for games to benchmark.
    I would like to see ES: Oblivion benchmarked on one of the 8M cards. That game is essentially the most stressful GPU game out to date. I'm sure it would put your card through it's paces. It is also going to be the first game I buy when I finally get a new DX10 notebook, though I am personally waiting for teh 8800M.

10. fabarati

fabarati Frorum Obfuscator

Reputations:
    Most people base their opinions of the 8600M GS on the Asus F3Sv results, which are at 7600/x1600 levels at 2GB ram or less. However, going for 3GB will raise it to 8600m GT levels with 2GB ram.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.