8560w GPU upgrade - use empty DVD slot to fit MXM 3.0b (higher spec) video cards

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by nickelaus, Dec 31, 2014.

1. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am sorry I couldn't be of much help. I would like to add that mine is eDP too and I am on a DreamColor display panel and my 8770W doesn't have hybrid graphics at all. It runs just on the dGPU.

2. tLustejmiCin

tLustejmiCin Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello there,
    after two years - before I had 8560w, I had to buy this laptop again, but in 17" version. So 8760w.
    I have i7 2630QM
    8Gb ram - to be upgraded
    7k2 rpm 700Gb HDD - tomorrow I will swap it for my 250 Gb Samsung SSD
    FirePRO M5950
    Win 10 PRO
    Docking station

I am glad I can work with this machine again. I got it from a guy - who was the first owner and owned it 7yrs and did only some accounting staff on it. So it is really really like a new one. However - I launched the Photoshop and it is so slow. And I am really scared right now. If it is the graphics or it was the running Photoshop and on the background I was copying files from one connected ssd to another connected hdd WHILE DOINT IT ALL ON THIS SUPER SLOW 7K2 RPM SYSTEM HDD :D I do not know - but I got really scared. Because before on my previous 8560w I had inside two SSD drives(I think I had Quadro 1000M or 1100M) and it worked like charm.. Well Well.. I hope it get better after swap.
    Because I do a little bit of video editing - AE and a lot of LR and PS.

Today I read all 27 pages of this thread and I think I too will upgrade to gtx 965m. But first it needs some ram and ssd drive.

// udpate - I wont swap disks, I just found out that 17" version can have 2 internal drive bays, muhehe - I thought it could have only one drive and then optional upgradebay(dvd currently)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  3. ForestCat

ForestCat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hope this helps someone:

For anyone w/ 8560w/K2100M, and no Function Key Brightness Control or power plan settings brightness control, the following fix:

Add a key in the following registry: "RmBrightnessControlFlags"=dword:00000400
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]

ONLY worked for me w/ nvidia driver version 354.56. I'm on Windows7/64. The Function Key Brightness Control and power plan setting are working. Also, that driver version increased the Windows Experience Graphic scores from 6.0 to 7.1. vs driver version 377.11. Go figure.

4. silverchairbg

silverchairbg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @ForestCat What is the vbios version you're using on the K2100m and have you tried any other vbios-es?

5. worldlydude

worldlydude Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello Silverchairbg.....the only "confirmed" installation of the above that you've listed that I've been able to find are for the Firepro m4000. You can find that here:

1. https://forum.51nb.com/thread-1385378-1-1.html
    Any luck with the firepro M5100 or M6100? Soundoflenses M5100 upgrade failed and the M6100 seems to be MXM3.0 Type B and not the smaller Type A that we need. Seems to me that the only real upgrade options are 1) The GTX 965 for $400 or 2) The M4000 for about $25. Your thoughts?

6. worldlydude

worldlydude Newbie

Reputations:
    @AlleyKat Any luck with that M5100? Per my post above, it looks like the only working options are the GTX 965 or the M4000. Your thoughts?

7. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Edit: Read this only if interested in the B type cards. The gpu VBIOS can be tweaked to operate at lower than stock volts to manage the heat output.
    Tried putting up an M5000M in an 8570w and it worked(almost). However I had to modify the heatsink a bit by welding extra aluminium metal to make up for the bigger 'B' type card.
    The problem is that there is this small component (marked as C582) on the motherboard hitting the graphic card's right-upper memory module; stopping the card from being fully parallel to the motherboard i.e., it stayed a bit inclined. I didn't feel safe keeping it that way and I reverted back to the K2100 board.jpg M. My workaround for testing then was to bend the copper line a bit so it would stay aligned with the GPU :p

***Interesting enough there is this GTX870M that is a bigger B card with two memory chips not present on the upper-right corner. So, there is a 99% chance that it will be seated properly and you might get this card at a lower price :)
    Good luck with your upgrade.
    870m.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    worldlydude likes this.
  8. worldlydude

worldlydude Newbie

Reputations:
    @surfinkin thanks for the idea....I might try the GTX870M some day if somebody else can prove it works first. They are cheaper than the GTX 965...

9. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Happy to know that you are interested in this. Here is the thing, physically it won't have any obstruction with the boards embedded components like I experienced. The only thing you have to make sure that the vbios is compatible with your laptop. I bought an M5000M that came in with Dell's vbios and it woked on Dell M6700, M6800; HP 8760W, 8570W, 8770W under both UEFI and Legacy boots. I have read that GTX 980M works on 8770W and 8760W. I don't see th reason why an 870M might not work if you get it from a reliable source with proper bios flashing function. Also, I also own a Zbook 15 G2 that came in with K1100M and I can't for the life of me save the VBIOS or flash one onto the card. I have modded vbios of k3000, k4000, k4100m, k4100m, m5000m (all the cards have been from the Dells, they work on HP laptops too). Trying to give you info that could give you a picture of what you are diving into :)
    You can still wait till someone confirms that is having similar interests like you. Let's see..!

10. frelu

frelu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello there,

I have been following this thread for a while, but now I decided to make a post.

Some time ago I successfully managed to replace my Quadro 1000M with Quadro K2100M from Dell.

Now I am thinking about placing MXM B card into my 8560w.

I saw that one guy placed 970M in, but had some problems with temperatures.

An idea was born in my head: “Why not use old GPU blower cooler? Something like 1070 Katana”.

[​IMG]

The idea is to find cooler that possibly will fill whole DVD bay. I marked the length of MXM B card and add extra 5mm to avoid any collisions. The result is about 10x10-11cm rectangle.

[​IMG]

I did the research and found ATI X1800: pretty wide radiator made of copper + heatpipe; all that in a single slot. Radiator need some adjustments to fit. [Alternatives are: Quadro FX580 and FX1800 and Quadro 2000]

Quadro 2000:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ATI X1800
    [​IMG]

and disassembled:

[​IMG]

I want to drill a hole in magnesium case + stick small grid.
    Cooler upside down (fan facing down).
    Extra heatpipes from existing heatsink --> new heatsink, stick it with themalconductive glue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to power the fan from inside part of USB (5V) if possible.

Didn’t think a lot about maintenance and how the hell I am going to attach it to the bottom of the case.

Want to know your opinion. Maybe someone already tried that.

Extra question:
    Does heatsink from 8760w fit in 8560w?

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020