8560w GPU upgrade - use empty DVD slot to fit MXM 3.0b (higher spec) video cards

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by nickelaus, Dec 31, 2014.

1. PATRICK NDZENGUE

PATRICK NDZENGUE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Please will this card work on my 8560w?hd 7870m

2. AlleyKat

AlleyKat Newbie

Reputations:
    hello all! recently purchased an 8560w with i5 2540m/8GB/FirePro M5950 locally with the intention of upgrading the GPU, a decision partially informed thanks to the excellent research y'all have done in this thread. I have an MXM 3a FirePro M5100 (this one, precisely) just arrived in the post and I'm going to give it a try once i've done some benchmarking with the stock GPU and am satisfied the system is running well. (Windows 8.1 x64 by the way)
    I also have a FirePro M6100( one of these) on the way as well as a 230W Delta AC adapter to try the mod for myself- I've been working on a custom heatsink solution for the expansion bay and I will be sure to post what I come up with!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    triturbo likes this.
  3. AlleyKat

AlleyKat Newbie

Reputations:
    Tried both the M5100 and M6100 and neither want to work. M5100 doesn't show anything on the LCD (even when I shine a light at it) and VGA monitor detects a signal but there's no image. M6100 lights the LCD backlight but no image and no signal from VGA.

Thoughts: I see that at least some of the panels in the Dell laptops these cards came out of (7510 & M6800) are eDP, is it possible one or both of these cards can't output LVDS? I forgot to check that before ordering :(

I'm going to figure out how to blindly install drivers, and if that doesn't work I'll need to decide whether to attempt a blind VBIOS flash or to return the cards and try something else.

There are so many BIOS versions out there for both cards, how to choose which to try?

4. AlleyKat

AlleyKat Newbie

Reputations:
    so the plot thickens, perhaps: I enabled Remote Desktop on the 8560w and tested with the FirePro M5950 that the system would come up unattended, even with the internal keyboard and trackpad disconnected (to allow faster GPU swapping). Works fine. Try the M5100 and M6100 and nothing, RDP on my other laptop can't find the host. Put the M5950 back in, RDP works again. I also tried reconnecting the laptop keyboard and hitting F1 on boot in case it was halting on an error but no change- seems like Windows isn't coming up for some reason and likely the system isn't booting at all. I don't think this laptop likes these particular cards much.