8560w GPU upgrade - use empty DVD slot to fit MXM 3.0b (higher spec) video cards

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by nickelaus, Dec 31, 2014.

1. silverchairbg

silverchairbg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe we already discussed earlier in this thread, that 10th series Nvidia (i.e. Pascal) only support edp screens. So, not sure what you're suggesting ..

2. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some of these later model Elitebooks the ones that support Dreamcolor screens have eDP output my suggestion was for those with such setups

3. PATRICK NDZENGUE

PATRICK NDZENGUE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have an elitebook 8560w with a quadro fx 2800m that is mxm 3.0b card. All work fine with temperature too because the highest is 69 degree celcius but i have two problems. The first is that the gpu doesn't reach the 600mhz on core clock. It's only above 340mhz. Memory and shaders too doesn't reach the maximum frequency. The second the brightness that i can't adjust. My specs are:
    i7 2820qm
    6 gb of ram ddr3
    700go hdd
    No dream color screen hd+
    120w charger.
    Please what is wrong ?

4. PATRICK NDZENGUE

Reputations:
    I have an elitebook 8560w with a quadro fx 2800m that is mxm 3.0b card. All work fine with temperature too because the highest is 69 degree celcius but i have two problems. The first is that the gpu doesn't reach the 600mhz on core clock. It's only above 340mhz. Memory and shaders too doesn't reach the maximum frequency. The second the brightness that i can't adjust. My specs are:
    i7 2820qm
    6 gb of ram ddr3
    700go hdd
    No dream color screen hd+
    120w charger.
    Please what is wrong ?

5. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    it might be the 120w charger holding you back

PATRICK NDZENGUE likes this.
  6. PATRICK NDZENGUE

Reputations:
    Thanks you. I will buy a new with 180w. It's sufficient or not?

7. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    it could be enough but if the price difference between that and a 200w PSU is minimal I would suggest that instead

8. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As much as I wish I could, I wouldn't recommend doing that. I forgot to mention that on the 15 incher 8570w, there was a balck tiny square protrusion besides the card, it wasnt allowing the card to be positioned parallel to the motherboard plane, instead i had to bend the heatsink copper pipes by hand to match the slantness of the sitting m5000m (the memory unit of the m5000m interferes with the black protruding thing and it sits on top of that protrusion making the card sit in a slanting position). this approximate pipe bending to position the heatsink parallel to card wasnt upto the mark and it was not removing heat off the guard effectively. well its a 150w card without a second fan would be hard anyways. and i didnt wast to damage the card so i took it off and sold the 8570w to buy an 8770w. so problem solved. but i ve heard for the zbooks that protrusion wont be there. you can check it out. for now, i already sold the 8770w too and moved onto m6800 dell. its with an i7 4600m dual core and a quadro k3100m 768 cuda 4 gb ddr5. i still have the m5000m and will put it on after buying a quad core i7 or after i could bypass the stupid current and power throttling thats making the cpu sit

9. PATRICK NDZENGUE

Reputations:
    Hey. I forgot that my WIFI card no longer works since this graphics card is installed. She is not even recognized in the bios.