8560w GPU upgrade - use empty DVD slot to fit MXM 3.0b (higher spec) video cards

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by nickelaus, Dec 31, 2014.

1. stumbler

stumbler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Another brain dead know nothing,

laxstar785 likes this.
  2. merdalokiPi

merdalokiPi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! I have a 8560w and the graphics card is dead(quadro 1000m. After installing driver it slows done and windows not booting anymore. Tried different drivers same result. I ordered a k1100m( from a zbook), installed it but it does nothing. The leds are blinking ( blue and orange), but the screen remains black, no blacklight, and i think its not booting. Any advice? What is the most recommended gpu replacement type for this laptop? Thanks for any advice.

3. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello fellas!!!

I am actually doing an mxm-b upgrade on a 8570W. Default config- i7 3630QM, K1000m. Presently upgrading with a Quadro M5000M.
    I plucked off the dvd pin off the board, I had to grind some regions for a proper fit of the card. I sort of extended the heatsink but didnt add extra radiators or pipes.
    It worked like a charm from the start. No problems whatsoever apart from installation. I easily moddded the inf driver taking a youtube vid reference; then was able to install it. COnfirmed it from the HWinfo for model number, cores and VRAM.

I found out that the laptop was cool but the temps are little on the high ranges while gaming. I was always keeping an eye on the temps. thanks to afterburner and riva. It never crossed 90c on both. But strangely I observed that the laptop fan wasn't spinning at high speeds at all. Also it is going up down up down up down... almost every half a second no matter the load.

Current bios version F43.

What do you guys suggest. Please help. If it can control the speeds by itself like it used to for the older gpu, I am the happiest person on earth :D
    ! ! ! ! ! H E L P ! ! ! ! !
    edit: the idle temps are around 45c on cpu n 43c pn gpu for usual browsing and streaming

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/hp-elitebook-8570w-mxm-b-gpu-upgrade.814197/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    laxstar785 likes this.
  4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Congratulations on the mod and upgrade! Try HWiNFO for fan control.

5. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thankyou triturbo. i figured it was the pin that was misbehaving, i just re-plugged it in and it was all smooth.

triturbo likes this.
  6. Padraig O Cuinn

Padraig O Cuinn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dont forget to post pics ;-)

triturbo likes this.
  7. stumbler

Reputations:
    Bought Dell G4FNO K2100M from ebay. Loaded mod inf file with 11FC (K2100M) on 176B mobo on Win 10 set UEFI with CMS with driver signature enforcement.disabled.
    Installed K2100M and started lappy hooked to external VGA. Both screens black. Pushed Fn+4 couple of times.External VGA lit up followed shortly by lappy screen.Win 10 searched for updated driver and installed signed driver,
    Device manager hardware id shows: 11FC176B and 103C in string. Everything works like the upgrade was never made. Sure curious how win 10 found signed driver that never existed?????
    Learn Fn+4 settings and arrow maneuvering on your stock rig BEFORE modding. Dont forget to press enter to save the setting. You will be using them with a BLACK screen.The correct combination will get you LIT.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  8. stumbler

Reputations:
  9. laxstar785

laxstar785 Newbie

Reputations:
    Would be awesome if you could provide a walk through on how you did the upgrade, and point to the youtube video as well. Maybe a few pictures of the internal modification you did as well. I am 100% interested in doing this but I can't seem to piece all the info together.

10. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    there are 1030, & 1050/TI MXM-A cards as well a RX 560 MXM-A