8130/8150 for work?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by quigley0, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quigley0

quigley0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i am a pre-sales system engineer who travels quite a bit. I miss gaming when i travel, and have been contemplating buying a gaming notebook for a while.

My current work laptop is a dell e6410 that does have a core i7, and 8GB ram, but, isn't really good for gaming.

I have been eying the 8130/8150, and the high resolution screen is quite appealing, as well as the sandy-bridge processor, and dedicated graphics.

The laptop will be used for:
    • Building Demos using VMware/Virtual Box
    • General Work
    • Gaming

In order to join the domain at work, we require Bitlocker or TrueCrypt. I already emailed Sager, and they do not support TPM, which is required for Bitlocker, but i think TrueCrypt will still work.

My question for the forum is if there is anyone else out there using these laptops for business/gaming? Is it too big/heavy for travel? Has anyone tried using TrueCrypt? When not gaming, are the fans quiet enough for meetings?

The "simplicity" of the design lends itself to being a better laptop for business than say Alienware or even the Asus gaming laptops. I can't really show up to a meeting with giant glowing exhaust ports on my laptop :)

2. Larry@LPC-Digital

Larry@LPC-Digital Company Representative

Reputations:
  3. John@XoticPC

John@XoticPC Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here are some sizes for you. I personally wouldn't think this would be too big for travel, of course, my laptop is an 18" monster:/

8130/8150
    6.83 LBs with Battery Pack
    14.80" (w) x 10.08" (d) x 1.38"~1.69" (h)

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Plus looks like Bitlocker works without a TPM, just requires a usb flash drive:

BitLocker Drive Encryption Overview

BitLocker can also be used without a TPM. To use BitLocker on a computer without a TPM, you must change the default behavior of the BitLocker setup wizard by using Group Policy, or configure BitLocker by using a script. When BitLocker is used without a TPM, the required encryption keys are stored on a USB flash drive that must be presented to unlock the data stored on a volume.

5. quigley0

quigley0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It works, but, not very elegant. I believe you have to have the USB drive always plugged in.

6. A_Grounded_Pilot

A_Grounded_Pilot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I travel a lot for work (it's my job), and I take my np8660 with me on every trip. It's not too big or too heavy, and it looks very professional. My one complaint is battery life; at this point I get about an hour of browsing in silent mode. That being said, it's a gaming laptop with a two-year-old battery - what do I expect? Besides, the 8150 seems to have addressed that issue somewhat.

NP8150: 14.8" (w) x 10.1" (d) x 1.4"~1.7" (h)
    e6410: 13.2" (w) x 9.4" (d) x 1~1.2" (h)

The 8150 is definitely a bit bigger than the 6410, no doubt about it. It makes the Sager feel like a chunky little machine when you're used to a mediocre laptop. But then again, you're used to a mediocre laptop :D You won't be sorry with an 8150, I promise.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Oh, wasn't aware of that. That's not good. Maybe if it worked with an SD card if it was recessed, but I think the SD cards typically stick out about half way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.