7970m wait for fix? or switch to 680m?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by lowfreq, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. festa_freak

festa_freak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok. I just watched some gameplay on the 9150 with a 7970m and I didn't see any hiccups in the game play. Granted, the graphics were on some medium textures but mostly high. Does the enduro stuff only rear it's ugly head when played on ultra when you really need the card to perform?

2. sarr

sarr Newbie

Reputations:
    To be honest you can probably play most games fine on relatively high settings. The problem with enduro and the current drivers (I have a P170EM with a 7970M) is that you won't get what you paid for since it will be under-utilized in every game. My irritation and I guess countless others is that when you pay so much for a portable gaming system you want what you pay for and not something that does 60% of its job..

3. Mighty_Benduru

Mighty_Benduru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 7970m should allow you to play almost any game at ultra settings. Reducing the graphic level won't help, since utilization will adjust accordingly.

4. festa_freak

festa_freak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Understood. Now to gamble with AMD or go for the 675. I am not shelling out for the 680.

5. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Would be great if that leads to 40% discount :p

6. Mighty_Benduru

Reputations:
    That will be nice, won't it? Technically speaking, the card is sort of 40% discounted already. It's a $200 upgrade from the 670m, while the 680m is an additional $450 from the 670m. If you look at price to performance ration, the 7970m is right on par with the extra $ for upgrade.

7. hackness

Reputations:
    I doubt AMD would really set the price based on that though ;) However in buyers' eyes it's truely an unofficial 40% discount :p

8. Mighty_Benduru

Reputations:
    Hah... indeed.... it's more like a make myself feel better that my 7970m sucks discount :p

Off topic, what's wrong with your 680m, since it's being RMA'd? Or your 675M is being RMA'd and you made use of this opportunity to upgrade?

9. Mighty_Benduru

Reputations:
    Can you wait maybe for a little longer? If you check out the benchmark of the 675m compared to the 7970m or 680m, the 675m looks very very weak (even though the 675m is a very decent card). Or maybe, don't choose a clevo setup. Go for the MSI.

If you go for the Alienware, with the premium you pay for that brand, might as well go for the 680m Clevo setup.

10. hackness

Reputations:
    My GTX680M broke down the 5th day I got it due to bad solder job, so right now I'm using the GTX675M until the GTX680M arrives from RMA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.