7970m wait for fix? or switch to 680m?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by lowfreq, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. festa_freak

    festa_freak Notebook Enthusiast

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    5
    I've just now only heard of clevo/sager and figured i'd get in on the back to school promo. If they 'always' have some sort of promo going on it would be easier to wait. Also, I have a five year old laptop and I am away from home except weekends. I am getting bored of peggle :(
     
  2. Mighty_Benduru

    Mighty_Benduru Notebook Consultant

    Reputations:
    81
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    31
    The price drops every month. Well, it's more like they give more "free" upgrades. The base price will pretty much remain the same.
     
  3. Mighty_Benduru

    Mighty_Benduru Notebook Consultant

    Reputations:
    81
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    31
    @lowfreq

    Just an FYI, this reply is not about me. It's more like my decision, and maybe it will help you with yours. My 30 day return/exchange is almost up. So, I finally made the decision to send it back to Sager and swap out my 7970m for the 680m. So, if you are interested, contact your reseller and they will be able to help you.

    What prompts my decision to swap? I have spent about USD$2200 for a top of the line gaming laptop. It's not running like it's supposed to. Already spent $2200, might as well spend an additional $245 for the upgrade and get the laptop to run like a top of the line laptop. Will this ever get fixed.... maybe... maybe not. Let's look at Nvidia's fiasco with Optimus. It's my understanding that it took them approximately 1.5 years to get it fix. How long is it going to take ATI to fix Enduro? Maybe next week, maybe next month, maybe next year, or never.
    I don't want to take the risk of this not getting fix, or wait a year or two. That's why I finally made the decision to make the swap.

    Off topic here. As much as I blame AMD for the Enduro issue, I still think Clevo still have to take half the blame for the screw up. I forgot where I saw on this forum (too lazy to search), someone posted a nice diagram showing how the Alienware mobo and the Clevo mobo was designed. From the looks of it, it looks like Alienware had the parallel configuration, while Clevo has a series configuration. With the parallel, they can turn off one and force the other to run all the time. With the series configuration, every thing in the line must work correctly. I don't work in computer design so I can't really say much in details. But from the looks of it, the series configuration is a lousy design and is not robust. Was it cheaper to have a series configuration? I don't know. If every manufacturer does not have a problem and only Clevo has problem, this pretty much speaks for itself.

    Anyway, for those whose computer still have the window open to swap the video card, I advice to go for it. If not, there's nothing wrong with that decision. Right now, it's pretty much a roll of the dice. I'm just tried of checking the forum every morning and every night and hope the fix is here. I didn't pay this much for this kind of headache.
     
  4. columbosoftserve

    columbosoftserve Notebook Evangelist

    Reputations:
    15
    Messages:
    374
    Likes Received:
    17
    Trophy Points:
    31
    True that. I'm giving AMD one more week to come forward with something substantial before I send mine back for the swap. What a big joke this has been.
     
  5. sdavies86

    sdavies86 Notebook Consultant

    Reputations:
    9
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    30
    i dont think they plan on releasing any more drivers this month. i could be wrong.... But they just announced that they were looking into it on the 9th, after they released 12.8. so if they take a month and get it right... great! if they take a month and get a step in the right direction, thats good too. i think that if they rush out a driver too soon (this week), they may not be able to solve the issue enough or at all to satisfy you or potential buyers.
    if you have the money just kicking around, and you dont need the AMD for professional applications, then go ahead and swap out the card. if you dont want to stretch yourself thin, hold out... it will get better, i think anyways.
     
  6. Mighty_Benduru

    Mighty_Benduru Notebook Consultant

    Reputations:
    81
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    31
    I read from Rage3D forums and there is a little update.

    "They're waiting for internal validation of testing their performing on different options."

    Maybe I'm reading a little bit too much into it, but this is what I decipher. I think they have been in discussion of possible solution, and need to get approval from upper management, before they commit their resource to fixing the issue.

    I don't know....
     
  7. sdavies86

    sdavies86 Notebook Consultant

    Reputations:
    9
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    30
    sounds good to me
     
  8. Xtrophy

    Xtrophy Notebook Consultant

    Reputations:
    60
    Messages:
    274
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    30
    The only problem with putting any blame on Clevo is that they designed a system that would work fine if Enduro worked as advertised. They were told Enduro worked, so they designed a system to use it fully. Yes, it is an annoying design, but if Enduro worked as intended there would be no problem with it. It works the same way on the 680m and works great.

    So their design isn't exactly flawed, just their assumption that AMD was being correct in saying that their system would work as intended.
     
  9. Montage

    Montage Notebook Evangelist

    Reputations:
    265
    Messages:
    453
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    31
    "Internal validity is the validity of (causal) inferences in scientific studies"

    They seem to be testing different kinds of settings to see how different variables work together.
     
  10. Seanzky

    Seanzky Notebook Evangelist

    Reputations:
    224
    Messages:
    593
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    31
    At this point any fix, however AMD wants to do it, is welcome. Lol. I really hope they do this. As consumers willing to spend big bucks, aside from the college users and a handful who are on a budget, AMD would do well to fix this issue and keep our business. I would upgrade to the 680M in a blink right now if I could.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page