7970m vs. 980m

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by fluent, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    An 860M is definitely overkill, that's getting into native 1080p60 rendering territory.

What hardware decode methods does Steam In-Home Streaming support again? Haven't kept up in a while, maybe they added new ones or improved the existing implementations. A modern iGPU would probably work perfectly fine, but a 17" 1080p screen (esp. a nice IPS one) will raise the price no matter the rest of the hardware.

2. Vitor711

Vitor711 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I also agree with this. Every time I've chosen to get a GPU upgrade in a laptop, I've always just sold the old one and bought a new one. It's crazy how much you can get for laptops with decent mobile gaming GPUs on places such as ebay. I've always found that easier and cheaper than upgrading components individually.

This makes even more sense when you're considering swapping out two of the major pieces. At that point, just get a new one.

3. fluent

fluent Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, very true. I'm not sure what decode methods Steam Streaming uses, I forget, but I remember that I need a GPU that allows hardware acceleration. The Nvidia Geforce Go 7950 was not enough. I'm thinking an Nvidia 6xxm should do the trick.

4. fluent

fluent Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't get me wrong, the Geforce Go 7950 was actually close, but it didn't generally handle 1080p video too well. 720p, a little better, but it was most comfortable in standard def. I was, however, able to stream Wasteland 2 and The Last Remnant comfortably to it, in full 1080p. It was very playable, and in some cases didn't skip a beat from my laptop with the 7970m in it! There was an ever so slight amount of jitteriness with The Last Remnant, so I figure that something a few rungs up the GPU ladder should do exactly what I need it to do. The 7950 is close, though, but not perfect.

5. saladin

saladin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All in all, $1100 for 980m is simply too much. I would wait till the 14nm MXM GPU.

6. saladin

saladin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since 7970m is quite OK to handle most of most of present games (depends on what games you are playing), keep beating it for another 2 years, minimize the residual value then step into 14nm mxm card.

7. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

Reputations:
    I had both and can easily say both in benchmarks and games you will see kind of 2x performance.

8. paradigm

paradigm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the qweschun still remains :p .. will the 7970M be able to play GTA5

9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Do I look like I can predict the future?

TBoneSan likes this.
  10. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    all you can do is buy it when it comes out to find out for sure!

theoretically the specs for it are quite low but we'll have to see once it comes out and into our hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.