7970M vs. 680M - Rematch with driver updates

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by jaybee83, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
  2. Zymphad

Zymphad Zymphad

Reputations:
    Not interested. I guess whoever did the review isn't current on driver development from AMD. There are a lot of changes coming, which unfortunate for AMD, since they are now publicly admitting they released drivers for GCN that don't function properly.

3. Divine_Madcat

Divine_Madcat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Still happy i opted for the 680M (just reading reviews). The driver issues ATI has would bug the hell out of me, so I am happy to be avoiding that this time.

4. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    @hulawafu: well naturally, there are always a lot of changes coming in the computer world ;) thats not the point. it´s rather a nice overview of the status quo for people wanting to get a new machine now and trying to decide whether they should go red or green.

5. Zymphad

Zymphad Zymphad

Reputations:
    Maybe 6 months ago. But not right now. The new drivers are coming soon, as in next week and following week. Next week will show how AMD's driver adjustments improve on frame latency. Then the following week hopefully, they will have drivers with the memory controller rewritten, that should provide overall improvements for all games, especially DX10/DX11. That's when I would suggest someone to make a decision. If those improvements aren't significant and not as good as I hope they will be, then go with 680M.

As it is, 680M are still definitely the more stable and safe choice. 7970M still has kinks and a few games still have difficulty with it. There are just so many stupid games with UE3 which just doesn't play fair with AMD, so I would go with 680M anyway, just because of that. So many of the games i play are UE3 and it's irritating.

6. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AMD is all about hoping :)
    Nvidia is all about gaming (if you can afford it).

7. Tornator

Tornator Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    But if there are price/performance and highprice/allaroundhighquality, my choice is price/performance.I am not afraid about driver installation over driver installation.

8. Red Line

Red Line Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can someone run 3dmark11 on single 680m, please? does it really score 5600 marks on the latest drivers? i guess it was around 6200+ few months back

9. failwheeldrive

failwheeldrive Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I love my 7970m; it's the best value in terms of mobile gpus out right now. I don't ever see it overtaking the 680m though. AMD has made great strides in its driver development, but it can't match the stability, low temps, and awesome overclocking of the 680m. I've only had the latter 2 days and I'm convinced the 7970m can't catch up. There are still tons of minor kinks and issues with the 7970m in certain titles.

10. Montage

Montage Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice results. Out of those games only AC3 seems to have bigger issues on the 7970M (and I don't play it :p).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.