1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

770M vs. 780M for RTS/RPG gamer

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Dragonseeker, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Dragonseeker

Dragonseeker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I am just wondering would it make sense for me to go for the 780M if I am primarily a RTS (Starcraft II, Warhammer) and RPG type gamer (The Witcher, Diablo III). It almost seems like based on all benchmarks, the most graphically demanding games are FPS which I almost never play.

However, I am interested in playing in ultra setting and close to 60 fps for those games. Would a 770M be enough and future proof (at least a couple of years) enough? I just don't want to shell out 400+ dollars for a 780M if I am not playing games that would need that kind of power.

Thanks for your advice.

2. Mr Najsman

Mr Najsman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Isnt the Witcher-series very demanding on the gpu? Witcher 2 on Ultra with 60 fps is not an easy feat iirc.

3. ETisME

ETisME Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    you need a good cpu for 30fps max ultra late game situation in SC2.
    I got a 3480qm and it can do around 28fps in the late game pvz deathball situation

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    Real SC2 Pros play on low. :p

5. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

Reputations:
    IIRC on low you can miss out on some of the visual cues so they wont.

6. HTWingNut

Reputations:
    All I know in SC2 is that for the most part medium, high, and ultra are hard to differentiate. High isn't much more demanding than medium, so most use high. Ultra is like added bling that is more distracting than anything and takes a significant hit on performance.

7. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    RPG games like Witcher 2 and the upcoming Witcher 3 will love a 780M and make babies with it on your screen in the form of "ooo" and "ahhh"-like visuals. The 770M I think is sufficient for NOW, but games of 2014/2015 that are good graphically and are RPG-element should have to be run with the graphics turned down a bit on a 770M to still get 60fps. Of course that is probably mostly Anti-Aliasing and Tessellation decreases, but it still may be required.

As for RTS games, they can drain a lot of the GPU if you have many units on screen; for example Warcraft 3 has been known to get sub-30fps using 100% of my 280M if I make a massive amount of workers and just like farm the land or something. Starcraft doesn't have as strict a soldier/worker limitation as Warcraft 3, and has been known to hit PCs hard when there's mass action going on, so it's totally up to you.

In short, I'd say if you want to run witcher 2 and the upcoming witcher 3 and any other possible RPG-type game that may have good graphics (for example if you count Mass Effect and Fallout-esque games) then the 780M may be the better choice for future proofing. It's up to how much value you place on the graphics. Going by notebookcheck's benchmarks for both cards, currently the 780M appears to be (at stock) 50% better than the 770M. Just think about it and decide if the potential reserve power is something you want to pay for. If you were going to get it flat-out as-is right now to only play games that are currently out, then the 770M would be your perfect choice though.

I hope i didn't confuse you.

8. Ajfountains

Ajfountains Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Always buy as much GPU/CPU as you can afford.

9. HTWingNut

Reputations:
    Even if that means selling your cat and your sister.

10. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Sell your house too while youre at it. Notebooks love cool temperatures. Putting them indoors where there is heat is like saying you hate the notebook