7700HQ Power Limit Throttling

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by koharatx, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TornaD-oz

TornaD-oz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone please elaborate how "Balanced" power plan is affecting performance? I can't see any difference, and since the latest ASUS updates my GL702VS is hitting PL1.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The only difference that I noticed is that in high performance mode the clocks are never dialed back when idling.

They are going to introduce a new high performance mode this year, removing all forms of latency.

VICKYGAMEBOY, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Some have to use Balanced Power profile to keep temp and or throttling within reasonable level. Instead of fixing the real culprit. The thermals. Or even better... Buy proper laptops/computers who work as intended!! People should really read my thread How and why Dell cripple the performance. And other OEM's run this dirty game as well.

What’s the Difference;
    Each of these power plans is actually just a different group of settings. Rather than tweak settings one-by-one, though, these “plans” are designed to provide an easy way to switch between common groups of settings. For example:

• Balanced: Balanced automatically increases your CPU’s speed when your computer needs it, and reduces it when it isn’t necessary. This is the default setting, and it should be fine most of the time.
    • Power Saver: Power Saver attempts to save power by reducing the CPU’s speed all the time and lowering screen brightness, among other similar settings.
    • High Performance: High Performance mode doesn’t lower your CPU’s speed when it isn’t being used, running it at higher speeds most of the time. It also increases screen brightness. Other components, such as your Wi-Fi or disk drive, may also not go into power-saving modes.
    I know about the new so called new High Performance mode. It's called Ultimate Performance (Power Plan). Some of us have discussed this new scam a few weeks ago in the Win 10 thread + other threads. It is meant to be released for Windows Pro Workstation first. If you are familiar with tweaks or use of software for power plan tweaking you will see it won't make the big difference.

Micro$Haft has already messed up or better say screwed up Power plans in the past for their new Baby (Win 10 Fall). To the worse!! Why should it be any better now? Nope, I do not jump fast on this new hype.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  4. TornaD-oz

TornaD-oz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I thought that's what Speedshift is used for. Although I can't see how maximum clock speed is beneficial when the system is idling.

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It kinda bypasses speedshit.

Have yet to test it myself, but from what I understood it might be beneficial with music production where latency might be an issue.

I dont have much issues with Win10 still, only the latest update kinda ruined it for external GPU's. The system doesnt fully shut down by default which hampers switching the GPU when connecting and disconnecting the AGA. So I shutdown in command line now to get around that.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Just make it easy... Put 4 power plans + create one who fits you. Aka Power Savings, Balanced, High and Ultimate Performance plan in Power options. Same as before only with one extra. No need for the fancy ugly new Power mode we now see being thrown down ower throats. Windows 10 looks more and more like an OS for smartphones. When will this madness Stop? When people have voted NO with their wallets and stopped buy their hardware as Surface Pro tabletbooks? A desktop OS shouldn't look like this... It's nasty, ugly and awful.
    [​IMG]

7. JasperF

JasperF Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maleko48 and Vasudev like this.
  8. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What would the general changes be for a i7 7700HQ CPU to run cooler but still perform great in gaming in XTU or Throttlestop. I keep getting Power limit exceeded and thermal throttling. My CPU goes to 98 C Degrees Celsius while gaming. I need as much help and advice as possible please. I have a HP Omen 17 (GTX1070 version) HP Omen w200na model. Many thanks guys

9. JasperF

JasperF Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about your heating issue. You have same options as listed in this thread. In order of difficulty low to high they are;

1. Update all drivers and BIOS if have not done so already. Use HP Assistant or go to https://support.hp.com/rs-en/driver...-hp-17-w200-laptop-pc/13823501/model/15230141

2. Download THROTTLESTOP or INTEL XTU and follow links found in GOOGLE search to UNDERVOLT i7-7700 WITH THROTTLESTOP or INTEL XTU respectively to undervolt. Start at -100 and try -110, -120, up to max of -150. Mine is set at -130. HWinfo will verify voltages as having been set. You can probably get 5 to 10 degree savings here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=UND...TU&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

3. Buy cooler to place under your laptop

https://www.google.com/search?q=lap.....69i57j0l5.3579j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

4. REPASTE the CPU and GPU which may void your warranty or RETURN laptop and buy MSI or Alienware, etc as they have better cooling solutions.

While 98 degrees is high it is still acceptable according to Intel specs. 100 degrees is max I think. Be sure that is CPU throttling and NOT the GPU which apparently generates the most heat and throttles at around 70 degrees.

May be someone else has more to add? Good Luck!

hmscott likes this.
  10. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have decided to use 33x in max turbo frequency for all cores on TS and undervolted to -100 mV. I'm getting a max of 90 C degrees and before was getting 98/99 C degrees. Maybe I should lower it to 32x for all cores and it will lower the temp to 85 C degrees?? I'll try undervolt more. I have the i7 7700HQ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.