1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

750m sli SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by jerm3993, Jul 24, 2013.

1. jerm3993

jerm3993 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I bought the lenovo ideapad y510p with 8gb ram, no ssd, fourth gen i7, and of course the nvidia 750m sli. All of these games are having problems! WoW ran great, but
    1. Dishonored: starts off smooth 60fps, but eventually sticks at awful looking 40fps the whole time, occasionally jumping back up to 60 fps if I look at a specific thing in game.
    2. Borderlands 2: Awful. Just ing awful. 30 fps on the reccomennded settings. It wasn't even in 1080p so that was a ing joke.
    3. Dota2: I think I fixed the problems I was having by setting it to borderless windowed mode. Says I'm at 60 fps, however sometimes I feel like I'm not truely at 60fps.
    4. Battlefield: I feel like I should be getting better fps. With the reccommended settings which is mostly med-high graphics, I often dip to 38fps during casual firefights....

I'm getting pissed guys. Any suggestions on ways to fix this sli issue? Please don't bother saying laptops suck for gaming, I hear it all the time. We all know this laptop should be performing better.
    For example....these benchmarks are much better
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M SLI - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me. Tomshardware forums sucked!

2. DH48

DH48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Amm did you pop the second card in ?:rolleyes: as for dishonored 40 FPS on max is for a single 750m.

If it is in then does the notebook show that you have 2 of them ? Sli migh just be turned off.

3. jerm3993

Reputations:
    Yeah, the card is in and sli is on.

it seems as if all of my games like running without vsync on. Like I was saying, dishonored is at 60 fps and then dips to 40 fps at the most random times. but turn off vsync and i'm good to go. 70-120 fps. However, it doesn't "feel" as smooth and there is of course screen tearing.

And yeah my sli is in and it is turned on.

4. DH48

DH48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    Use nVidiaInspector to limit your FPS to 58FPS. It won't Vsync, just limit the top FPS and help smooth things out.

6. Bankfenster

Bankfenster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why 58fps? I limit it always to 59fps. But yes its probably the best solution. With vsync it feels fungous, without you will get awfull screen tearing (except you get in low games like counterstrike about 200fps, then you won't notice screen tearing much) and with 59fps and vsync/off you get a little bit of a fungous gameplay and one missing picture (but you won't notice it that much).

But btw:
    Maybe you get low fps, because the drivers are not optimziated yet? For example with my notebook with AMD 7730m I tried when black ops 2 came out to play it, but it was simply not playable duo to low fps. A driver update fixed the problem.

7. maverick1989

maverick1989 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you basing your expectations off of NBC? It would seem there is a discrepancy in their review. Look at the numbers for a single GT750m.

Dishonored - 44.8
    Boderlands 2- 28.7
    Battlefield 3 - 12.8
    Crysis 3 - 8.1
    Bioshock Inf - 13.6

Now look at the numbers for the dual 750ms you linked.

Dishonored - 119.4
    Boderlands 2- 75.3
    Battlefield 3 - 33.2
    Crysis 3 - 19
    Bioshock Inf - 38.9

ALL games show more than 2x increase for the SLI. Some actualy show almost up to 3x. That is not possible. SLI typically scales about what? 50%? 60%? Depending on the game, it could even show worse results. I won't say your laptop sucks for gaming since you so nicely asked :). However, of all your numbers, only dishonored is an anomaly. Others actually fit the scaling theory pretty well. In dishonored, it is probably a driver thing especially considering you say that stills render at up to 60fps but when the GPUs actually need to render new shapes, it drops.

8. jerm3993

Reputations:
    I've been going by these
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M SLI - NotebookCheck.net Tech

However, Dishonored is definitely a problem but that is not the only game. Like I said, Borderlands 2, even at basic settings, was locked up at 30-40fps. But, luckily I found the issue in all of my games. Its vertical sync. All of my games that I turn vertical sync off run so much better fps wise. Now I just need a way to make it "feel smoother" with less screen tearing as well. I will try that nvidia tip, any more suggestions would be great.

9. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    You need to run V-sync w/ Triple buffering, which can best be done with D3DOverrider.

Also I think the 750M SLI has simply been overestimated. They run about as good as the GTX 765M, in the real world.

10. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Also, one of the problems with Notebookcheck is that they test each GPU on a different machine. Meaning that 750M SLI could have a fast quad core while the 750M had a slow i5

That will skew comparisons

Edit: no they were both tested with 4700MQ. I have no idea why they got over 2x FpS because that makes no sense