6th Gen X1 Carbon FHD Screen disappointing

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by KnightUnit, Jul 5, 2018.

1. KnightUnit

KnightUnit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have not logged on for a while as you can see from my signature specs going back some years...

Anyway I have recently purchased a X1 6th Gen with FHD display coming from a 3rd Gen with FHD.

I can honestly say the 6th Gen screen is worse than the 3rd Gen. 6th Gen seems to have dark edges round the screen edge I have never seen this before and didnt expect on a £2000 laptop with maxed out spec.

2. SuperMech

SuperMech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have recently read that this generation (6th) has your exact type of problem with their FHD displays.

Here is where I read it: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/20144-best-ultrabook-2018-x1-carbon-vs-xps-13/

This guy found that every FHD display shows this defect. I guess your options are to exchange it for one with a higher res screen, or keep ordering and returning the laptop until you find one with an acceptable screen.

This is one (of many) things that Apple does right.

3. KnightUnit

KnightUnit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply, I have also seen users having similar issues on the lenovo web forum.

4. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had the same issue on every X1C 6th gen I viewed. Tried multiple at Costco and all had this and a combo of dead pixels or dust specs under the screen. Two had faulty left clickpad buttons. The last one had the faulty left clickpad button and a horizontal line of pixels that went all the way across the screen on green and gray and some blue backgrounds. AUO, the screen manufacturer, is such a trash company, nothing but horrible experiences with screens, but I digress. I'm just unlucky and / or unwilling to accept defects out of the box.

I re-ordered one from Lenovo direct and the estimated shipping time went from about a week to over a month from my order, which is completely unacceptable. Canceled the order.

Not sure if Costco gets inferior machines, I doubt that's the case. But this whole experience has forced me to abandon the X1C and I have a refurb Dell 7490 being delivered tomorrow. Not happy at all because I love the X1C, but QC has gone down the toilet.

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    dell has better support at least

costco just sells pre-configured machines, that's why they can get a large volume

what you're ordering on the lenovo website is CTO

6. shengna

shengna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I checked Costco display models today and found no problems for FHD screen.Maybe the wqhd 500-nit screen is better?