6GB RAM vs. 8GB RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Wolfborne, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfborne

Wolfborne Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am not a gamer and I don't do anything really intensive on a computer. I understand how RAM works, but for moderate use would there be any real benefit to upgrading the RAM to 8GB from 6GB, other than going from 3 DIMMs x 2GB to 2 DIMMS x 4GB?

Do any programs have problems with 3 DIMMs x 2 GB setups?

2. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    the xps 15 have 2 slots only

there are so few laptops that can pack more than 2 slots

3. phanpride

phanpride Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you should upgrade to ssd u wont notice too much of a difference with ram upgrade

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Moving from 6-8GB of RAM will give you very very little improvement, especially in your situation. If you're looking for an upgrade see if a SSD fits in your budget.

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Even if you are not a gamer, really depends on your RAM usage. Are you a heavy multitasker or do you like to keep lots of programs open simultaneously? Do you use virtual machines or edit lots of photos and video? And I don't think you can do 3 dimms, it's either 1,2, or 4 slots. You're better off getting a 4GB stick, removing one of your 2GB ones and have 6GB that way.

6. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The only notebooks with 3 SODIMM slots use desktop CPUs. 99% of notebooks have only 2 slots and for a 6GB configuration, it's 1x2GB and 1x4GB. But for moderate use, you won't notice any difference between 6GB and 8GB.

7. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    incorrect, my Elitebook 8740W uses a laptop CPU and has 4 slots for up to 32 GB as do a couple of the Dell mobile workstations and other Elitebooks.

to the OP I agree that in MOST cases for now 6GB is sufficient and if you wanted to speed up your machine a good SSD is the way to go. as for how the ram woul work I would try to post the question in th applicable manufacturrs forum and see if any one has tried it. I can see no reason why 2 x 4GB should not work fine unless it requires tri channel on the DDR3 as some desktops do.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I think he meant 3 slot configuration, which would be the triple channel DDR3 and that is ONLY on socket 1156 / 1366 Core i desktop CPU's. No mobile motherboard / CPU were made to use triple channel. Most notebooks up to 15" only have 2 slots, some 15" have four, but most 17" and larger have four. Mine does, and have 4x4GB, considering how cheap DDR3 laptop RAM is.

9. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I thought there were a couple of them with tri channel, I have seen units marked with 12GB and would suspect 3 x 4GB on those because 8's are VERY expensive as my sig may tell you

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    What units? It could be two 4GB and two 2GB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.