680M is OUT!

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by ironminded, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Fox, can you run a mark 11 stock with c/f disabled and post up scores? - just for comparison as Notebookcheck says 680m is around 5900 (5700 gpu)...would be interesting to see what 7970m is....singular.

That's what I fear most about putting AMD cards in my machine.....

2. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Fox, let's be honest. I've been reading your posts on your 7970Ms specially now after 680M's announcement. You seem like you are trying your best to justify your choice to actually go back to AMD, but if you ask me, I'd say you don't really feel completely comfortable with the switch. "Sheer performance" is not an argument anymore, as we can safely assume 680M to perform better while working cooler with much better drivers etc.

Tell the truth. Do you regret buying 7970M with 680M around the corner? I don't think that in your case money was the issue.

3. ironminded

ironminded Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it just me, or is AMD's announcment to go to a "when needed" driver release cycle MORE scary than the "regular" releases of old?

Not to be a neigh-sayer, but given the wait most of those with 7970's have had to endure for stable drivers [and amazing work to produce the same done by many of those on this forum] I shudder to think what the wait may be for updated drivers on current/future AMD CF set-ups.

For driver support alone it may be worth paying an acceptable premium for 680's as opposed to 7970's. Especially if one is looking for "out of the box" performance and stability. Now, what counts as acceptable will be individual-user dependant.

I do find it interesting that most of the early benches I've seen for the 680m vs 7970m have not utilized teh 12.5b catalyst drivers that many on this forum have found to work best for CF set-ups. Instead it appears taht 7970m benches have used the 12.4 drivers. It will be interesting to see if that has hampered the 7970 in any fashion.

Additionally, as someone who will be using a system for both work and play, as it were, the stability afforded by the Green team's more regular driver releases may be worth it.

As usual and always; your milage may vary.

4. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nah, it's actually much better for the consumer because the WHQL drivers still had problems. There will still be driver leaks in beta/preview form. It just means AMD can now focus on more serious problems with their limited resources. If anything it's nVIDIA that should be releasing monthly drivers and AMD releasing the beta's with a WHQL every 2-5 months.

5. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
    +rep back brother!! Gone are the days of troubleshooting...........:)

+rep for still waiting!!

Uh oh......you are just asking to hear Fox's history with Nvidia. I believe Fox has no loyalties toward either camp. He is an enthusiast at heart....especially when it comes to getting the most power out of his system.

6. ironminded

ironminded Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Doesn't this assume that AMD will actually rise to the challenge they have set themselves and release stable drivers when needed?

I've had both red and green systems, and had stable systems from both sides of the fence. I just seem to see more complaints about AMD driver support than about Nvidia driver support.

7. skygunner27

Reputations:
    +rep just because:p

8. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Haha - right back atcha Bro - just 'cos you are a diamond ;)

9. oni222

oni222 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am thinking the same thing! I want to sell both my m18x's and buy them again.

10. skygunner27

Reputations:
    Thanks Bro!!:D I just went back and really read Fox's post about how Nvidia dropped the ball with Tegra 3....lol. Remember how I was sooooo excited about Tegra 3 and now own a maxed out A5X iPad?....lol.:D Mobiousblack & I are Nvidia fans....yet we own/prefer iOS devices.

I really think that Nvidia is focusing on Tegra 3/4 and AMD is focusing on the 8th generation of gaming consoles. AMD could do a lot better and Nvidia should have been ready to go already with the 680M's.

It's really annoying when certain companies hold back their products just to see what the competition is up to....especially if that's what Nvidia is doing.