650M Preliminary Benchmarks = up to 67% faster than 555M

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by littlezipp, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlezipp

littlezipp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Been playing with my new R2 for the last day or so and wanted to share some quick benchmarks I ran. Important to note the graphics card did not exceed 60 degrees throughout benchmarking!

System:
    3720QM
    512GB Samsung PM 830 SSD
    Nvidia 2GB 650m
    1600x900p screen
    8GB DDR3 1600

EDIT: Thank you to R1 users who have added to this thread with their R1 OC results! I have added your contributions to each section. I'm all for accurate results and running the 555M tests with the latest software. To be fair though comparing the 555M with launch drivers seems fair to compare to the 650M with launch drivers since it is just as likely the 650M performance will improve as their drivers also mature! Apples to apples OC to OC the gap is down in the 35% range. I have edited topic title to reflect.

The 67% # comes from my comparison to Anandtech's review of the M14xR1 specifically Metro 2033 since it is perhaps the most taxing benchmark I have:

Base 650M with no overclocking is 46% faster:

Overclocked 650M to 880 Core and 1203 Memory is 67% faster:

Thank you member Lancer for posting 555M OC results: http://forum.notebookreview.com/8501016-post23.html
    555M OC vs 650M OC gap closes to 35%
    His results account for updated drivers and I imagine some quality OCing time. I am using MSI Afterburner that is limiting my core clocks to 880. The usual tweaks to lift restrictions in software are not working, but due to the stability of the 880 I think there is much more headroom!

2. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Finally some real 650M GDDR5 benchmarking, thanx +rep

3. sparklesmcgraw

sparklesmcgraw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great to finally see some benchmarks. The r2 does seem like a good improvement.

4. littlezipp

Reputations:
  5. sparklesmcgraw

sparklesmcgraw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Was the 555m at the lower resolution? Not sure what difference that would make. Still a pretty nice jump though!

Any chance of a quick mention of battery life? The guy who did the unboxing on YouTube is claiming 10 hrs browsing and up to 5 gaming! Hard to believe so it would be good to hear what others are seeing:)

6. littlezipp

Reputations:
    All benchmarks were like for like. 3DMark11 has a built in benchmark test that is what everyone uses to make sure the scores are standard and fair. For Metro 2033 I matched the settings used in the Anandtech review as seen on their screenshot and mine. Just tried to do a Stalker Call of Pripyat benchmark, but there are too many setting for me to know exactly what was used in the M14x 555M benchmark so I won't be using the results.

As for battery you can see in my screenshot my battery came at 10% wear level, so I am already starting at 90% new capacity out of the box! I will contact Alienware about that one. As for mobile gaming I have not had an opportunity to really test out that battery.

I will say this is a huge improvement in lap usable gaming as opposed to my M18x!

7. eats7

eats7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    im curious does it still downclock the gpu like crazy on battery with the r2?

8. Thornox

Thornox Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    wow after these results my love for my R1 started to disappear :)

9. Thornox

Thornox Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ofcourse it does it to increase battery life when in battery mode.

10. UberJason

UberJason Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You've compared 650M (not overclocked) to 555M (not overclocked) and 650M (overclocked) to 555M (presumably still not overclocked); any idea how it compares vs an overclocked 555M? like 650M OC vs 555M OC or 650M vs 555M OC? Would be useful info since a lot of people like to OC the 555M by a good bit!