1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

64GB SSD big enough for a college student?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by MDDZ, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDDZ

MDDZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hello, I am thinking to buy a X301 with 64GB SSD for my daughter who is going to college this fall. She is going to use the computer mainly for her course work. She is going to do medical. I am not expecting her to do gaming and other irrelevant stuff.

I am not familar with the work load of current college students. In her situation, do you think 64G SSD is large enough?

128GB SSD is really expensive.

Thanks for your input.

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I guess it would depend on how much storage she needs. You certainly have enough for Windows, but if she's got a lot of music, photos or movies, then you'll be hitting the wall. An external drive might be an option.

3. ortegaluis

ortegaluis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any specific reason why you are going with a X301?

4. ZaZ

Reputations:
    The X301 uses a 1.8" drive so there will be no standard drives.

5. ortegaluis

Reputations:
    Yea, sorry about that.
    Right after posting, I went to the Lenovo site and noticed that.

6. jaredy

jaredy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Buy an external drive for her media. I assume she has an mp3 player for on the go?

Also teach her about backing up/having redundant copies. I work in university IT and students always lose their data that they need for papers, etc. They never backup or seek to fix problems until they become overbearing.

7. ZaZ

Reputations:
    I was not harmed. An apology is not required.

8. MDDZ

MDDZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Using an USB external hard drive is a smart idea!

I LIKE THAT!!!!

9. MDDZ

MDDZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am thinking about these scenarios:

She can put a light notebook in her bag easily and carry around. I dont want my daughter to carry another computer bag.

She can easily use it for most of a day without the power cord. I am thinking to buy a 6-cell battery.

10. MDDZ

MDDZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Jaredy, thanks for the tip. This is really from people who know how.

Appreciated!!!

Edited: I was thinking about x200 too. I brought my daughter to a local Best Buy. She feels that 12.1 in screen may be too small for her course work. What do you think?

11. MDDZ

MDDZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here is what I just ordered for my daughter. Good? Comment?

A quick question: Do X301, T400, T500 use the same memory? Just want to confirm before buying more memory.

Thanks!

-----------

Intel Core 2 Duo SU9400(1.4GHz, 3MB L2, 800MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
    13.3 WXGA+ TFT (1440x900 LED backlight) 3x3 UltraConnect
    Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    1 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
    64GB Solid State Drive
    Intel WiFi Link 5300 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology
    Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
    ThinkPad X300/X301 Series 6 Cell Li-Ion Battery
    2777: Topseller - 1 Yr Depot Warranty
    1GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory8

12. ZaZ

Reputations:
    Yeah, occasionally I have one. I might recommend the WD Elements 400GB external. Sometimes you can shag one in the $50-60 range. I have one. The only thing I'd say about it is sometimes it can be a pain to have an apendage hanging off the side.

Yes, they all use the same memory. I'd get the minimum memory, then buy a stick from NewEgg.

Why Vista Basic? One thing I might point out and I don't know if it's relevant here, but some schools require XP Pro or Vista Business because they want you to log in to the NT domain for access to the network. XP Home and Vista Basic/Premium can't do this. You might want to check it out.

What did you get for the modular bay?

13. MDDZ

MDDZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for your thinking about vista basic. I was thinking about the same thing, but about area. I had a SL500 wisth Vista Basic briefly and feel it was slow. So I was thinking about whether to choose XP. Good thinking?

Another reason for vista basic is that I have a vista ultimate disc and thinking about upgrade it myself. Could it be even slower, considering x301 slow cpu?

Regarding modular bay, I did not buy anything. no DVD burner. Will this pose any problem in the future?

14. jaredy

jaredy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well if you didn't get the optical I'd say the x20x series is worth a look, however I'd imagine needing an optical drive from time to time for a student. Vista is not an issue of speed really as long as you get rid of any extraneous programs on startup. Also the SSD makes programs open up very quickly, so slowness attributed to vista shouldn't be a huge problem. I use it myself (64bit flavor) with an SSD.

15. ortegaluis

Reputations:
    A clean install is a good idea. It will likely perform better than the fully loaded preinstalled Vista.

16. Th1nkpad

Th1nkpad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Send me a PM, I'll see if I can get a cheaper configuration for an x301 for you.

17. ZaZ

Reputations:
    A lot of that could be the bloatware that comes on machines nowadays. A clean install with your ultimate disc would help as will the SSD, which are much faster than conventional drives. Just don't forget to make the recovery discs and a copy of the SWTools folder. The SWTools folder contains all the drivers and applications installed on your ThinkPad.

You'll need an optical drive to install Windows. If you're not planning on using it much, then maybe an external might work. If you need a lot of battery life, the bay battery might be worth considering. I think either is cheaper if you buy when your ordering. Since the X301 uses super slim 7mm bay devices, there's only one source for them, Lenovo. If you want to acquire one later, I think they're kind of expensive, unless you can get lucky and find a used one. You don't really want a used battery anyway.

18. MaX PL

MaX PL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    64 gig is enough and if she needs more space for non-important things she can always pick up a cheap external.

at my school we had a huge pirate network of 70 terabytes so many students often bought large hdds, but i doubt your daughter will need that unless she's into piracy.

19. jonlumpkin

jonlumpkin NBR Transmogrifier

Reputations:
    64GB is plenty for applications, documents, etc. The only time you run into an issue would be storing media (most notably video) as this can take a fair amount of space. However, a USB HDD or a NAS is a great option for storing media (and a backup of everything on the SSD as well).

One other thing you need to consider with the USB HDD is form factor. If your daughter would always leave the drive on her desk, a 3.5" drive will offer more storage space at a lower price. However, if she might want to take the drive (and its contents) with her, a 2.5" drive that is POWERED via USB is probably a better choice. You can either buy these drives pre-made (easy) or assemble one yourself with a standard HDD and enclosure (cheap).

The x301 is a very nice option. However, if your daughter doesn't need an optical drive or touchpad on a regular basis the x200 series might be a better choice. The x200s is the lightest ThinkPad available and offers the best battery life as well as a high resolution (for its size) display. The x200 regular is less expensive, slightly more powerful, and offers a good balance of size/battery life. I might also recommend the x200 Tablet as it can be a fantastic choice for a student (can take far better notes, easily rotate the screen to read content, and general usability); in addition the tablet has the highest quality display of any ThinkPad as well as above average multimedia features (stereo speakers, webcam, noise-canceling microphone, etc).

All of the x200 models offer a card reader (can easily take the memory card out of a digital camera or simply expand the internal storage), docking station support, and a 54mm ExpressCard for expandability. The x301 lacks all of these options.

No matter which model you go for, I think a 64GB SSD is a good choice.

P.S. - Your daughter is lucky that her Dad has such fine taste.

20. jaredy

jaredy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hopefully she won't think it's ugly and not like it 8).