$600 Inspiron 5402 14" - A wolf in a sheep suit

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Not-meee, Dec 11, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think im going to jump on the current dell 14 2 in 1 and move my laptop now to my son who needs a more reliable device. That way I will still get my full SD card slot, new 11th gen i7, iris graphics, 2 SSD slots, USB C to run dock, eGPU and 2 of my 24" dell ultrasharps, and then have a nice portable processing package for in the field. If I wait, I am afraid they will remove some very important items for me.

2. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I truly doubt the new 2 in 1 will have all the nice features. Maybe 1 full sized m.2 slot, but in reality 2 in 1 laptops are beefed up tablets with keyboards.

The new thin and light laptops are more laptop than tablet. Thus the few that have two m.2 ports.

Also 2 in 1 may not have all the thunderbolt 4.0 pci channels. Look at the video specs. If it can't do 3 monitors, most likely it's crippled.

I dunno why your bent on 2 in 1, but to each to their own.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I use it....that's why.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is the model I am looking at getting in the next month or so....

Add 64gb of ram, a larger SSD or two if it has the slot, a dock, pen, egpu and extra 24 inch ultra sharp monitor. Perfect setup for me.

Dell Inspiron 14 5000 2-in-1 Laptop | Dell Canada

5. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Back to my modded 5402... had recently updated my dual 980 Pro NVME drives with new firmware. At first Samsung servers had the wrong package, it took some time later on in the day to fully upgrade the drives. No noticable speed increases. Which I doubt I can measure any better than 8200 for the pci-e 4.0 bus. It may help people with slower or slightly not optimized setup compared to mine. I don't know, but it may resolve the delay to flush the cache, of which some have reported slow downs.

custom90gt and kojack like this.