$600 Inspiron 5402 14" - A wolf in a sheep suit

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Not-meee, Dec 11, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @Not-meee , I read back through this, you new inspiron has 2 SSD slots correct?

2. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Correct! Not many have two full sized m.2 slots. Though it seems, the secondary is limited to pci-e 3.0 speeds. I assume next years models will be full pci-e 4.0 on all ports

The choice of using the 980 Pro over the 870 Evo Plus, was that the pro will run cooler being ran at half speed. It's not over driving the hardware.

When you weed down all the available options with laptops, the Dell is perfect for end user growth. For those who want a more robust build, the Vostro version should show less wear on the surface and be a bit stronger. With the new intel chips coming, I would expect a big improvement for xps lovers, assuming late last year's XPS will be overshadowed by the upcoming Inspiron.

kojack likes this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Awesome. That device is the best bang for the buck out there for someone wanting decent speed, upgradability and a device that don't look like startrek's enterprise and a ti-fighter had a love child.

4. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's what I have been explaining for some time through my thread. For the slim design and light weight. Tiger Lake is the evil step chid of Rocket Lake. Look for the Dell Vostro / Inspiron Tiger Lake laptops, as they become available as used. They are true sleepers, that can do games, when properly setup. I chose the 14 because I am not a gamer. The offset keyboard and touch pad, just is not me. You could get a ten key or learn to use the top row, like I have. The 15, would be the norm for gamer laptops, though I have no clue if the 15 panel is the same in performance as the 14. The 14 IPS display is pretty darn good for a mid priced laptop.

When you look at the features and performance as a whole, not many offer a laptop that can compare with price scheme. HP 14 / 15 come close but far from being cost effective once you make the options equal to the Dell. I wanted to compare the HP, but it's battery and power option lacks, the m.2 port options are not equal, and RAM limits cost savings when upgrading. The Dell gives up performance by cheap & slow SSD and single channel memory setup. But once you lift the hood, and add ram to complete dual channel memory, and upgrade to a fast NVME, with some bios changes. BAM, you got more than what you paid for. If I was all interested in games, i7 would be the choice. Mainly due to the increased graphics capability. AMD lacks decode for AV1, which is important, and many are unaware until you watch online streaming. 1/3 more battery time does make a difference.

It's not a convertable, or 2 in 1. But it does make them envious.

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  6. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As long as it's thunderbolt 4 capable, I see no reason not. Remember thunderbolt on AMD systems is only 3.0, so Intel will kick AMD bum on upgradabliity. If your worried about the capabilities of Rocket Lake, then wait for the next gen coming out late in the year. It's going to cost more, but gamers will eat it up for light weight hot pluggable expansion, that does not need huge cooling systems.

Games and video conversion are the only things that kicks in the quiet fan. It's petty close to being a convertible with the lack of noise and heat. With AV1 built in, heat rarely is an issue with long bouts of HDstreaming. Weights 1/2 the weight of my G6 with high capacity battery, and longer battery run time, with x2 the speed, since the G6 is only PCI-E 2.0. Remarkably windows 10 makes the G6 much more speedy than all the other Windows versions. Only NT4.0 is faster and more stable, but no drivers for newer than 20 year old systems. MS screwed the pooch when they made NT plug and play with bloat. Them Linux peeps, should have invested all their time and efforts in reviving NT, into something bigger than linux for what it is now. After all they complain about MS being too closed source and like console commands to feel in control.

kojack likes this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OK. I want it for video and photo editing. Instead of building a desktop I will get the new 2 in 1 and a eGpu for editing setup with another 24" monitor.

8. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    From what I gather, you probably be best off with an i7 as to use it on the go. As for desktop, a thunderbolt egpu dock and hdmi connected monitor. The Intel graphics is good enough to allow HD displays, and being thunderbolt 4, the video processing can be offloaded to the egpu. I would wait for the next gen laptop, as Intel Iris is growing into a fairly decent GPU.

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    As far as I can tell, the i7 2 in 1 up here in Canada has IRIS. I would be getting the i7, installing 64gb of ram, and 2 SSD. Then running 2 24" ultrasharp dell monitors off that. I have one already which is touchscreen and I love it, I will be getting another without the touchscreen, for secondary purposes. Having a one plug dock connection will be awesome for my situation. Will the egpu run through a dock?

The other great thing for me is the full size SD card slot. All of my cameras run SD and being able to just pop them right into my computer is a much needed feature. I have realized the limits of my older cheap dell in video editing. She struggles with it. It will do it but it's a LONG time doing it compared to what I have seen on newer versions.

10. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Depends on dock... the newer laptop will drive 4K HDMI, and two 4k monitors through Thunderbolt. On just one 6K through Thunderbolt. But that may increase due to intel's new chip design.

What you have on your older laptop is nothing comparedto iris Xe, and what will be released soon. Last year insider knowledge said don't by any laptops until 2021, and beyond. Stuff has changed dramatically. That's why I waited til the late release of the 5402.

Rocket lake is going to be pretty cool for new laptops. I am happy with my Tiger Lake. Which will become the lower segment for upgradable laptops, and mid range tossers like Acer.

I suggest waiting it out as long as you can to see a Rocket lake laptop up close and personal. I would not say this until I had my laptop go through all of what I done.

As for egpu, there are inclosures, you can customize your setup with. It's like building a disk storage box, but instead it's a graphics hub or dock. Just search for Thunderbolt 4 egpu enclosures. Some have multiple outputs and hubs for other thunderbolt connectivity.

The new laptops use micro SDCard slots, so you will need to invest in using SD cards with their adapter in the camera. Or obtain a multi card hub, if you run into CF, SD, and other types of memory.

Also you can obtain m.2 storage, run raid 0 m.2 devices for background video conversion, without effecting working on edits or other work. IBM was the first to provide external backbone bus for external adapter cards for PC XT based systems, back in the early 80s. Firewire, and Thunderbolt is nothing new to that concept, just light years better.