$600 college laptop, budget is 100% firm

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ZRock, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pianowizard

pianowizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The current Elitebooks with 14" 1600x900 are way above your budget. You may want to look for a Thinkpad T420 on eBay. Right now, the cheapest Buy-It-Now T420 with 1600x900 is $699 + $17.50 shipping, though there is an auction-style one that's currently at $540 + $15.19 shipping, with 3 days left to go.

However, if you can overlook the bulkiness and looks of the E6420, the ones on the Outlet plus a 20% coupon remain the best bargain.

2. ZRock

ZRock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And for the most part, everyone here seems to be saying avoid 13.3" because they have a 768 screen, and that won't cut it... Agreed on that?

ASUS U30JC-A1 Notebook | eBay this asus u30jc seems like an ok 13 if the screen isn't horrid...

UGH I know the latitudes are a great deal for the $ but WHY do they have to be so bulky!

And why do lenovos have to cost so much more for the same spec!

3. pianowizard

Reputations:
    Come on, the T420 I mentioned is only $116.50 above your budget. Save a bit more money in the next two months and then you will be able to buy one.

My personal philosophy regarding consumer-grade 1366x768 laptops: if it's under $250, is reasonably fast, looks okay, is 14" or smaller, is brand-new, and has at least one year of warranty, then it's worth considering. Otherwise, no thanks.

One more suggestion: the Lenovo Outlet, on outlet.lenovo.com. Right now, the cheapest 1600x900 machine is a $970 T420s. But the inventory changes frequently, so if you keep checking several times a day you may eventually find one for less than $600.

4. ZRock

Reputations:
    Not to be too helpless, but what comparisons can you make between the dell and the t420? Because I can get the dell from the outlet for about $500

And saving for a few months wont help me at all... The $600 budget is more of a hard and fast thing set by my fiance... It's not going to go up at all :D

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Rhetorical question? Thin = more $

That, and Dell has the best outlet by far. I would not be too optimistic about the Lenovo outlet.

The Asus display is not even as good as my Acer and the Acer is average at best.

The Latitude from the outlet is probably the best option.

6. ZRock

Reputations:
    Haha, fine, time to stalk the outlet and just pull the trigger I guess. So you would still go with a 6420 over a 5420? Even if I can find the same display/same proc?

7. pianowizard

Reputations:
    The T420 is proably somewhat more rugged and durable, but has only one year of warranty.

I suggest that you look at lots of photos of the E6420 to see whether the bulkiness and looks are acceptable to you. These days, most laptops have huge display bezels, so that 14" laptops could almost house 15" screens, 15" laptops could almost house 16" screens, etc. This problem really isn't unique to the E6420.

There is one more reason. The E6400/6410/6500/6510 were criticized for being not as robust as the D620/630/820/830, and so Dell were determined to make the E6420/6520 very strong, but by doing so they also became a bit too thick and large.

8. ZRock

Reputations:
    The looks don't bug me much, it just makes me a little concerned because I was looking to go SMALLER from my POS HP G62 15.6", and I don't know how much smaller it would actually be.

9. pianowizard

Reputations:
    HP G62 dimensions: 14.72" x 9.70" x (1.22" to 1.44")

Dell E6420 dimensions: 13.86" x 9.49" x (1.06" to 1.28")

10. ZRock

Reputations:
    Haha, thank you for the info piano! YOu have to be getting irritated with me by now. So would you completely rule out things like a Lenovo Edge or something of the sort? Like the 13" slim, ultraportables that don't seem to be that expensive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.