$600 college laptop, budget is 100% firm

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ZRock, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    If the Dell warranty is next day onsite warranty, I would have to seriously have to consider the Latitude. I have used both Elitebooks and Latitudes and both are built well, although the HP does have the edge. I still think, as a student, you can't afford to be without your notebook for a week or two while you send it into the repair depot. The Dell second day onsite service can be a real life saver if you need your notebook. Unless you can get a comparable warranty on the Elitebooks, I would lean toward the outlet Dells.

With a SB CPU and HD3000 graphics I would not get a dedicated GPU unless you really need it. The NVS4200 is too weak for any real gaming so, unless you intend doing some 3D rendering, CAD or modeling, I don't see what it adds other than unnecessary drain on battery life.

2. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The Dell/Lenovo NV4200M setup uses Optimus so will can be configured to run the iGPU exclusively when on battery. So it won't have any effect on battery life.

3. ZRock

ZRock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All good points. Bronsky, not TOO worried about the repair time, I work at a tech shop, and if needed, could do something easy like a HDD swap or ram swap without voiding the warranty.

4. pianowizard

pianowizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The $585 Elitebook on eBay that I linked to has warranty until June 14th 2014, almost as good as the Dell Outlet's 3-year warranty for Latitudes and Precisions. This laptop is still available: HP WJ683AW#ABA ELITEBOOK 8440P NOTEBOOK CORE I5 2.4GHZ | eBay

5. ZRock

Reputations:
    I saw that one, I had the opportunity to pick up the other one for 474.99, but I think I want the SB proc for better battery life/slightly better framerates if I decide to play heroes of newerth or something on it.

6. ZRock

Reputations:
    So, I'm looking for a laptop with a decent screen, good portability, and good battery life (college student...)

I'm between the E5420, 6420, and E6320... Could I get some opinions and reasons to go one way or the other? I'm looking to get the order in before the weekend is over so thank you in advance for a prompt response!

7. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
  8. ZRock

Reputations:
    Eh, only a 720p screen, I can get the 900p for around that pricepoint at the outlet >.>

9. pianowizard

pianowizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Among these three, the E5420 has the lowest build quality. The E6320 only as 1366x768. Thus, the E6420 with 1600x900 is the only viable option for you.

10. ZRock

Reputations:
    I know that the 6320 only comes in 768p but since the screen itself is smaller, if it would work well for my use, I could probably suffer with the lower res if I'm getting better battery life or significantly more portability.

In almost every review I've read of the 6420, everyone says that it is basically a 15" laptop chasis, wouldn't that in a way defeat the purpose of going with the smaller screen size?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.