6 core laptop CPUs?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by cdoublejj, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    do true blue 6 core laptops cpus exist? like a 6 core i7 mobile?

2. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    No but there are mobile workstations and servers with 6+ core desktop i7's and Xeons.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Nope, unless Clevo has desktop replacement laptops with desktop 6-core CPUs.

4. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not sure what you mean by 'true blue" but

Intel i7 quad cores (MQ, HQ) have hyperthreading so they support two threads per core, or 8 logical threads.

Samsung's Chromebook 2 uses its Exynos 5 octo-core ARM (in big.LITTLE, 4 big + 4 LITTLE core configuration)

Both of those are 8 not 6, so not "true blue" in that sense.

AMD counts "compute cores"
    3 core CPU + 2 core GPU = 5 compute cores
    4 core CPU + 4 core GPU = 8 compute cores
    4 core CPU + 6 core GPU = 10 compute cores
    etc.
    But if you don't care about the GPU threads then those may not be "true blue" either.

5. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    True desktop replacement laptops like the D900F have featured full desktop CPU support for 6 core CPU's since before 2010. The D900F is that old and can support up to 990X and 980X for example.

So yes 6 cores in a laptop exists but I don't think any true laptop CPU's have been released yet featuring more than 4 physical cores.

6. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    There are no laptops cpus that come with 6+ cores.

there are however other notebooks that come with desktop cpus and those can have 6+ cores. Basically only clevo makes those

7. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Those extra cores don't add much for routine light activities (surfing, watching movies, office productivity). Where it'll really shine is for video encoding, games that scale beyond 4 cores (BF4 and Crysis 3 comes to mind) and other heavily multi-threaded tasks.

My 4930K desktop does feel snappier but only because it's overclocked to 4.5GHz on all 6 cores as opposed to my 4900MQ that's running stock (3.6-3.8GHz). Drop it back to stock and it feels about the same.

8. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Or even non routine where only a single core is utilized. Something to keep in mind.
    In that case, the difference can be substantial. Where these application are designed to scale and take advantage of the additional cores.

Yes, in its Eurocom application. And as you might expect, it is mobile, but just barely.

9. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Yeah I should've added core speed is more important than having 2 extra cores for most situations, unless you know you can utilize those extra cores.

That said having both will guarantee maximum performance.

10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    We reviewed some of those Clevo's with the six-core CPUs. Here's the most recent:
    AVADirect Clevo P570WM Review

As noted they are mobile but not really - 2.5" thick, 13.8 lbs and a 53 minute battery life. And don't forget the humongous dual 330W power supplies (I believe they can operate off of one depending on the configuration; our review unit was likely supplied with two due to the SLI'd Nvidia graphics cards). The whole package ends up being about 20 pounds. I always wanted one despite how ridiculous they are. lol.

alexhawker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.