1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

6 cell vs 9 cell dell battery

Discussion in 'Dell' started by red97vette, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red97vette

red97vette Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is it worth spending the $100 to upgrade from the 6 cell to the 9 cell battery. Ill be using the laptop sometimes on the road, how much more time will the 9 cell give you? (for internet surfing, etc...)

dan

2. gmoneyphatstyle

gmoneyphatstyle Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    sometimes less is more, except in laptop battery life in which case more is more.

3. drumfu

drumfu super modfu

Reputations:
    i don't konw what system you're looking at, but when i bought my 6000, it was 99 to upgrade to a 9 cel batt and 129 for an additional 9 cel battery.

the math therefore works like this... 99 bux to get a total of 9 cels or 129 bux to get a total of (6 + 9 =) 15 cels. no brainer.

the 9 cel will give you 50% more than a 6 cel; for me, that translates to about 6 hours at half screen brightness and wifi off.

4. Amber

Amber Notebook Prophet NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    it also depends on what kind of laptop you have. With the 9300, I got around 2 1/2 hours with a 6 cell. A 9 cell is around 5 hours.

SG

5. red97vette

red97vette Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    wow, ..5 hours? thats not bad!

6. chesney09

chesney09 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can also find the battery you are looking for on Ebay for about 75 - 80 bucks shipped. I purchased one for the XPS-M170 and it is a DELL battery.. Works great!

7. Amber

Amber Notebook Prophet NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    You might also try online vendors. I got mine from a website that sold batteries for laptops. It came quicker since dell had the 9 cell on a 2 week backlog, and was cheaper.

I haven't checked Dell's prices lately, but a few months ago, there was only a 50 dollar difference in price between the 6 cell and 9 cell, so several users would buy a 6 cell and a 9 cell when they placed their order.
    SG

8. roofgoat

roofgoat Newbie

Reputations:

any on-line vendors that you can recommend?

9. Momo26

Momo26 Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    External or within Dell you mean? I would go with Dell only for components like the extra battery. Just avoid warranty and compatibility issues that way.

10. conghelach

conghelach Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Order wiht the 6 cell and add an additional 9 cell battery, that way you get both for about 129 so for thirty extra bucks you can have BOTH batteries!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.