$5K budget - Portable lightweight 14-16"windows laptop with bright screen and loud clear audio

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by mnd99, Nov 30, 2021.

1. mnd99

mnd99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    $5000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    U.S.A
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Presenting 4k/8K footage of products with audio to clients in a showroom. Audio has to be loud and clear. Screen has to be gorgeous and bright enough for day time setting with bright lights.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes. Needs to be very portable.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No games.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    8 hour minimum would be great!

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online preferred

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Has to be Windows only

Screen Specifics

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    There are going to be bright ceiling lights. So Matte!

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Nope

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Yes. On-Site Warranty would be ideal

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Does it absolutely have to be Windows only? A MacBook Pro 16 would fit all your requirements, including the encoding and playback of high-resolution video on what I would consider the best display of any laptop, period.

Should Windows be a requirement from which you cannot budge, then a Dell XPS 15 with the 3K OLED screen option or the XPS 17 with 4K touch display would be where I would go.

mnd99 and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  3. mnd99

Reputations:
    Thanks. So MBP 16 has the best display huh! Hmmm

The 3 main reasons I was leaning towards windows only:
    1) I have to remote into many of our windows systems to process financial transactions ( I assumed windows to windows would be easier to connect )
    2) There is one legacy inventory management software we use that is windows only. ( if I can remote into a windows PC that already has this software, that works too )
    3) Finally, In 20 years, I have never used MacOS and a little intimidated to switch from Windows. I have no idea of the learning curve :D

I hear the XPS 15 has little bit better audio than XPS 17. So you would say the MBP 16 screen is better than an OLED screen?

4. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @mnd99

If you have a reliable PC on the network to RDP into then you can even go as far as Linux for your OS. Linux runs on everything these days and it's even simpler than before to use. I used it for awhile int he office to keep the MSFT stuff from being deployed to my laptop and it was highly performant compared to Windows. Sure there's some little quarks to get some things working but, if you're RDPing into a desktop that's less of an issue. If you want some of it to be more native and run from your local machine there are ways to make it work.

RDP from Linux to another machine works the same way w/ a different name.

I've had XPS machines in the past and they're built like a tank and last forever. MBP's are a bit of a learning curve when it comes to getting used to the GUI and how the underlying system works (hint it's *nix based). Cross platform software is usually the major hurdle between Windows / Apple / Linux. Most things W based are available on an A system. Getting them to work in *nix is a different story sometimes depending on the dev's target audience.

Keep in mind though if you have some tech skills or can follow a YT video you can have whatever display you need by installing it yourself or having someone else do it for you .I upped mine from FHD to UHD for $150 shipped and 15 minutes of swapping them out.

mnd99 likes this.
  5. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Linux has more than "a few quirks" to get it running smoothly. Far more than even tech savvy users will care to tolerate.

There may be some adjustment required to get used to how macOS behaves, but again, for most people, knowledge of the "underlying system" is irrelevant.

While there are a lot of enthusiasts on this board, the overwhelming majority aren't going to care about that kind of stuff, and projecting your own advanced use cases onto them is not helpful.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    dmanti, mnd99, N2ishun and 1 other person like this.
  6. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Very difficult specs.
    There are ZERO laptops no matter the brand with sound that will be good enough for everyone in the room (no matter room size).
    A simple bluetooth speaker will cover you there, I suggest a JBL since they are reasonable, have great sound, and will easily fill any room.
    No such thing as a fantastic matte display. All high rez displays have glossy finish (3k-4k, etc).
    Not so easy getting 8 hours battery on any newer CPU.....6 core and 8 core EAT batteries.

Perhaps stating exact primary use needs might help, you say 4k-8k client showings.
    You did not say what software you'll be using, what type audio, what room specs are, how many people, what are you using for display (projector, ext monitor, TV, the laptop its self ???).
    Lotsa blanks being filled will help me help you.

mnd99 and saturnotaku like this.
  7. mnd99

Reputations:
    No need to fill a room. Pretend clients are standing around a king size bed and the laptop being placed on the bed.

I guess the answer is then to get a high brightness screen? I hear there are those mini-LED screens with 1000 nits these days! :D

So I'm hearing plug in during the lunch break! :D got it!

Videos if need to be edited will be done on Premiere Pro. VLC player to play them. Rather than roomsize, imagine a 40,000 sq ft building filled with king beds and clients are standing around each bed & I'm basically going around bed to bed showcasing the product videos/images/specs. There are no external displays. Sound and Audio has to come from the laptop.

8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    The MacBook Pro 16 would cover all those bases and then some. VLC and Premiere Pro are compatible with Apple silicon, the screen is other worldly, it runs very quiet, and it's entirely likely that you could go all day without needing to top off the battery. The M1 Pro processor with 32 GB of RAM and however much storage you think you'll need will be more than sufficient.

mnd99 likes this.
  9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You might consider the MSI Creator 17 with the mini-LED panel. Looks like it is available for $3500.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-cr...0-1-tb-ssd-core-black/6474943.p?skuId=6474943

There is also a Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen 4, with a 16 inch 4k 60hz wide gamut matte panel option.

Yet another option is the Dell Precision 7760, with a 17 inch 4k 120hz wide gamut matte panel. It is heavier, but can be custom ordered without a Nvidia GPU if you do not need it. The audio is decent on this one.

Finally there is also the HP Zbook Studio G8 with a 15 inch 4k 120hz wide gamut matte panel.

If the display is the most important concern, I would probably "try" the Creator 17 first, and if everything else is acceptable (audio, battery life, noise) it should have the best screen unless you really need an onsite warranty.

saturnotaku and mnd99 like this.
  10. mnd99

Reputations:
    Thank you!! I also found the Creator Z16 "Hiroshi" Edition. Same processor as the Creator 17. mini-LED screen also. Lighter than than the 17" Major difference seems to be 3080 v 3060

https://us-store.msi.com/index.php?...4qa52417&route=product/product&product_id=967

MSI website offers 30 day returns as well?

Hmmm. It does check every box, don't it? Good screen. Good audio. Battery life. I guess it's just the hiccup of switching to a new OS. Can Macbook connect to a windows desktop for remote application? There is an inventory software that we have installed on desktops. This is a windows only software. If I get a Macbook, I assume I would have to remote into one of the desktops with the software installed and access it via that way