5920G cooling overhaul

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by triturbo, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ergoon

ergoon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi triturbo! Very impressive, thanks! I will take this tutorial as template for the cooling mod of my "crazy" HD4650 construction. I didn't expect, such a cooling mod could be so enormous. - Wow! :thumbsup: I need to break down it to the basic part: "Cooling of the GPU and its RAM".

BTW: What do you think: Is there any way to turn around the MXM card? The cooling would be much easier. I didn't find a kind of flexible mxm extension and I think it is hard to produce one.

2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Use whatever you like :) I have some more radical ideas, but I don't have time to implement them :(

3. ergoon

ergoon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi triturbo! A radical idea would be to cool the system using liquid Nitrogen! Do you need some...? I hope, you will find some time for your hobby. - BTW: Please tell me, if you find a cheap X9100 CPU for me. - I have used a small heatsink of an old 3DFX voodoo card (a Voodoo Phoenix Maxi Gamer) and mounted it at the back of the HD 4650 MXM card. The mounting holes of the grafic card fit towards the holes of the heatsink. I just needed to use two longer screws to mount the plate. I put a thin pad as spacer at the back of the card to protect the SMD elements as you described at this thread and mounted the heatsink. Additionally, I added a small cooler to the construction, connected to 5V PINS of the board. At the front of the card, I have used a small copper sheet at the GPU core, but I needed to be carful not to damage it. The temperatures are at ca. 50°C at normal office use, but stresstesting with Furmark gives up to 90°C:

[​IMG]

Thx for your help!

4. triturbo

Reputations:
    Not liquid nitrogen radical, LOL :D I want to keep portability. I managed to get my X9100 E0 localy, dirty cheap, but it was the second out of two E0s that I know, and the first one is not for sale, sorry. Nice setup, just be careful not to drop it :)

5. Vipervlv

Vipervlv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Impressive mod - i have a question - where did you get the ramsinks from cause i can't find them in "Dekada" or local ;)

6. triturbo

Reputations:

7. kaltmond

kaltmond Clepple

Reputations:
    hmm, good job done. I'm thinking if i can add another heatpipe to the M860TU. :)

8. triturbo

Reputations:
    Give it a go and share the results :)

9. duhai

duhai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Triturbo,

You are very brave and with impressive performance results. It was a pleasure for me to read your posts here and on the “MSI's HD4670 is running in my Acer 5920G”. Interesting ideas, a lot of work well explained and with good pictures.
    I like your work Triturbo :thumbsup:!

I would like to ask you for a better picture of your ATI 4670 DDR3 if you have time or for a link to such a picture with the card.

What is the laptop weight after the last mod?

10. triturbo

Reputations:
    Thanks :) No problem, but I'm on slow connection here, I'll try to upload it by the end of the week. After the mod - 3,5kg (with 8 cell). It's quite heavy for 15,4" to start with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.