580m vs 6990m Benches

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Shaden, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skygunner27

skygunner27 A Genuine Child of Zion

Reputations:
  2. yoquh

yoquh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Totally agree my friend., but most of gamers out there don't know it.

4. stu.artd

stu.artd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nvidia has provided financial support during game development for a long time, in order to have them more finely tuned to their products. Fair enough, their cards may be evenly matched on a level playing field in an ideal world, but that doesn't exist and the amd/ati marketing dept really does need a shake. However Ati/Amd haven't woken up to smell the roses yet and I'm doubtful if they ever will.

5. mharidas

mharidas VLSI/FAB Engineer

Reputations:
    Ah but that's the catch, the cheeky games in question are not using the cards properly, they are only written to slow the competition down. They are not interested in the best gaming visuals or experience. Just benchmark numbers to show their cards in better light.

You are paying for a game, wont you like to have it really use all of your card's abilities on every detail of the game's scene and not just partially?

6. skygunner27

Reputations:
    Exactly!! That's why I was happy to leave the Red team. It's time for AMD to do something different.

7. mharidas

mharidas VLSI/FAB Engineer

Reputations:
    Not happening in Nvidia cards either, only gimmicks which are targeted to get some bench numbers which mean nothing for visual quality.

8. skygunner27

Reputations:
    Compared to consoles, I really don't think any PC gpu's are being utilized correctly via game software. The Xbox 360(Xenon 3.2Ghz Tri-Core) and PS3(3.2Ghz Cell) both have gpu's equivalent of an Nvidia 8800GT. If anything, the consoles are being 100% utilized.

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Alas, people often get confused and misinformed by those kinds of reviews. One reseller assembled a rig and sent it to a reviewer and we take it for a reference. I said it couple of times already, we have tested both configs with the latest drivers and at stock clocks there was always a tie overall. In fact, if the 6990s and 580Ms owners run the same benches as the reviewers did they will get much better results. Now, as far as overclocking goes, I'd trust Johnkss' results and say that the greens have a slight edge there but unless you see the 580Ms in my sig - the cards are on par ;)

On a side note, for those who intend to keep their current rig for 3-4 years and don't have a CC warranty, consider this:
    In the past year we have had a few hundred support requests from the 8800M/9800M/2x0M owners with one common problem - dead GPU. And not a single case of a dead 38x0/48x0/58x0 card. That's our statistics so far. Now, I come from a business IT sector and there it's even worse. For many years I supported IBM/Lenovo and Dell laptops and from what I saw pretty much every gen of the green mobile pro GPUs was plagued by some sort of overheating, poor solder, latency, throttling and other issues resulting in preliminary failures. Some still remember that famous Apple vs Nvidia lawsuit for bad gen of the 8x00 cards when Apple had to replace hundreds of machines for free.

Now, I'm not saying AMD is perfect and we see some issues on these boards but I'm yet to see a dead GPU in my own laptops and I still have a 9-year old IBM ThinkPad R40 with a Radeon 7500, which works like a charm (and I burned about 3000 hours of gaming on it trust me ;) )

Bottom line, go Green or Red if you like it but try not to jump on a poor review, especially when so much info is available here on this forum to help an make an informative opinion.

10. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    exatly!! not only apple but hp and sony computer had to replace hundreds of machines for free.
    i don't know why, but fall out new vegas run vetter on my m18x than on my desktop with GTX580 at same setting.
    there are not any problem with the amd card,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.