580m vs 6990m Benches

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Shaden, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    Why do you want youtube bench vids? Every bench run is the same apart from the framerate.

2. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Because that's how we roll here :)

3. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    ^^Haha 10char

4. jmarsiglio

jmarsiglio Newbie

Reputations:
  5. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    and just how is that test measured? is that over all score or just the 3d gpu test?

given the resolution they are running...it very well might be faster.

edit:
    after looking back...my amd setup walked all over my nvdia setup....dont remember if it was over clocked though.

edit:
    go look at where the 2960xm is at now...for the time being..haha

moving the 580m up is going to take time...with all them low submitted scores...

7. temperokyle

temperokyle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just love how I picked up a 6990m for a fraction of what the 580m are priced at :D . Even if it is slightly slower than the nvidia card, efficiency matters. I am also looking forward to future games with high tessellation involved and I wonder how the two would stack up then.

8. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    i see you might be in for a rude awakening...lol

9. acerguy123

acerguy123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. mharidas

mharidas VLSI/FAB Engineer

Reputations:
    That is stronger on the nVidia by a large margin on extreme presets. On low and high presets they are mostly a match.

But extreme presets are not needed to make a game look good and more realistic. Because Tessellation is a short cut not a true version of what the model should really look like in hand designed high polygon count models.

Its a tool to aid designers cut time in trying to make a low polygon models into a high polygon model for high spec settings. So now the card does it on the fly for the developers and they can concentrate on other things rather than spend time on developing models with low-high polygon counts for each level of graphics settings.

Metro 2033 is one example of a balanced application of tessellation for both GPU vendors.

Crysis 2 is an example where one company employes marking dollars to put pointless tessellation levels on mostly irrelevant objects to slow down the competition to the point it doesn't really improve the visuals all round as the tessellation factor is applied to a select few objects while other elements in the same scene look as dated as 2005 graphics.

The 6970/6990M have single tessellators like the 5870 mobilities, only difference the ones on the 6000 series are slightly improved. The HD 7000 series will get dual tessellators based off the cayman VLIW4 architecture and the situation will be vastly improved but Nvidia still has a lead in this department. AMD openly professed the reason for this being they don't see the need for extreme tessellation for games to really look good (eg: metro 2033). This is definitely true. But Nvidia marketing dollars aided games (TWIMTBP campaign) will up the tessellation to extreme levels just so Nvidia gets its money's worth in return for favorable benchmarks.

Its all the great world underhanded business tactics. AMD should do more of the same as Nvidia is not going to stop what it does best anytime soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.