580m vs 6990m Benches

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Shaden, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobra99

Cobra99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Actually I would say no. Here are my reasons.

They simulated these on a desktop machine. Cooling, power, drivers to name a few can have impacts on these tests. Any company that does comparisons is going to make the tests in their favor.

If you take this at face value I have a bridge to sell you. I'm not saying the 6990 is or isn't faster just these numbers I cannot trust and wait for an independent source to verify it I do the same thing when I look at Nvidia tests

2. TraptPatriot

TraptPatriot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You misunderstood my post, I wasn't saying the 6990M was faster. I only said that the two games I mentioned are great for benchmarking, and which ever card does better in the performance is the one that is faster.

For me, it is all about price. If I could have purchased the M18x with the 580M SLI for like $150 I would have. Since they are like $1000 otherwise, I will go for the 6990M's. Price > top end performance for me.

*EDIT* For the comparisons, I meant in future testing with the actual mobile cards, not the setup both companies used.

3. Cobra99

Cobra99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes I agree on the games selected for testiing just not the enviroment. So I think we are in agreement :D

4. Hambledon

Hambledon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I may be wrong, since intensive graphic games are not my forte'. But it seems to me judging from the AMD comparisons, that there is less difference in performance between 6990m vs 580m the more hardware demanding game. Guess we gotta wait till there are some real world benchmarks.

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Benches will be coming soon. For now, I'd probably put both on par. There are games that will undoubtedly run better on 580M as well as games that favor 6990M. Personally, I'd care less about the 5% fluctuations on the performance scale but much rather like to know the heat/juice consumption, driver stability and OC'ing potential of the cards. Price is also a very important factor.

6. Shaden

Shaden Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very true Aiki, although Hambledon does have a good point and a logical one.

The more demanding a game, it might be true the less difference you see, logically.

If you get 30fps on a game with Card A and Card B is 10% better ... you get 33fps ....

Where as if you get 90fps on a game and the card is 10% better ... 99fps ... 9fps more.

That being said ... the difference between 25 and 30fps ... is very noticable, at least to me ...

7. oni222

oni222 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree with you 100%

8. laststop311

laststop311 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well considering the gtx 580m is basically DOUBLE the price of the 6990m and at best it has equal performance but most likely has slightly less performance than the 6990m. The Radeon 6990m is the clear winner hands down (unless you are a blinded Nvidia Fanboy.)

Also the past few years the comparable radeon vs geforce card has put almost every geforce card using more watts and running hotter than its radeon counterpart. Sometimes even sizable gaps with radeon using less power and producing less heat. So I assume the gtx 580m will most likely run slightly hotter and use slightly to a decent chunk more watts when both are loaded 100%.

Based on the current available information: The radeon 6990m, as it's sitting right now, Has higher performance then the gtx 580m (maybe only marginable 5-10% boost may be as high as 25%[doubtful manufacturer claim]). The mobile geforce cards, on average, usually use more watts and produce more heat when its equal counterpart from radeon and itself are both put under full 100% load. The radeon 6990m, on average, is costing only 50% of the gtx 580m( THIS IS AN INCREDIBLE FACT AND IS HUUUUGE IN MAKING THIS A SIMPLE CHOICE )

Can't make this anymore clearer. Based on the information we currently have and can currently extrapolate from previous models, The Radeon 6990m runs faster and will most likely run slightly cooler and use a few less watts than the gtx 580m.

The AMD Radeon 6990m is currently the undisputed fastest AND best price/performance ratio for any flagship gpu currently on the market.

WINNER: AMD Radeon 6990m LOSER: Nvidia Geforce GTX 580m

Anyone who disagrees with what I just said has either found new data that made an unexpected change or they are just an nvidia fanboy. Question Answered.

9. Pearson Park

Pearson Park Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  10. Speedy Gonzalez

Speedy Gonzalez Xtreme Notebook Speeder!

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.