580m vs 6990m Benches

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Shaden, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eCake

eCake Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    haha i love your story ;) wish i could make there little cartoony of as a sign

2. Nigel8600

Nigel8600 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I read on here somewhere today that the 580M sale in Canada was a ERROR. It was supposed to be the 4 series card? That's why it was only on there for about 11 hours?

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    yes, that's true.

4. eCake

eCake Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i really love these dell deal snipes
    not first time they placed stuff with wrong pricing :)

5. Cobra99

Cobra99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

interesting. Was wondering why on the US site the 6990 was cheaper then the 580 but on the candian site is was $600 more.

Guess I got it for a good price.

6. Pearson Park

Pearson Park Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The games AMD picked for its 580m vs. 6990m comparison chart don't overlap much with those NVIDIA picked for its charts when it announced the 580m. Does this strike anyone else as odd? Why not use CoD Black Ops, Crysis 2, Mafia 2, etc. unless those didn't bear out the difference very well (or at all)?

I've been planning on buying an M18x, and had intended to go for a GTX 580m SLI, but now I guess I'll put it off a couple of weeks until we can get some real comparison benches (or should we know sooner?). The games I care most about, in descending order of importance, are Deus Ex HR, Bioshock Infinite, and Crysis 2.

One lingering concern I have about the 6990m is the lack of PhysX support. I really like the idea of PhysX. The supported game line-up, however, is about as inspiring as the movie selection on a domestic flight (save perhaps Mafia II). There were some rumors back in March that Deus Ex HR would support APEX, but I haven't seen anything about that since then and the game comes out next month. Is it official yet that Deus Ex HR won't support PhysX? And what about Bioshock Infinite?

Thanks

Please feel free to respond to any portion of this post.

7. greatbigphil

greatbigphil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Haha.
    I just got quinine call at 6:57am from my rep (I guess they don't really get north American time zones over there in India). He appologized for selling my the GTX 580Ms, sanding they were supposed to be the 460Ms. He told me it was a mistake. It all sounded very gloomy until he told me that he'd just change the order to the 6990s and call it done.

8. Hambledon

Hambledon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Footnote from AMD website listing performance tests, FWIW:

In tests conducted in AMD performance labs at 1920x1080, simulating mobile performance with a down-clocked desktop test system the AMD Radeon™ HD 6990M-based system was measured to be faster than the Nvidia GeForce 580M in the following benchmarks:

Dragon Age 2 at 4AA/16AF (23.69% faster)
    Total War: Shogun 2 at 2xAA/16xAF (10.36% faster)
    Aliens vs. Predator at 2xAA/8xAF (13.19% faster)
    Batman: Arkham Asylum at 4xAA/16xAF (16.85% faster)
    ET: Quake Wars at 8xAA/16xAF (25.82% faster)
    Just Cause 2 at 0xAA/2xAF (14.22% faster)
    Left 4 Dead 2 at 0xAA/0xAF (8.30% faster)
    Metro2033 at AAA/4xAF (11.40% faster)
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena at 4xAA/8xAF (15.32% faster)
    Wolfenstein MP at 8xAA/16xAF (16.59% faster)

Tests conducted with the following configuration: Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 (2.4GHz), 4GB (2GBX2GB), DDR3 system memory, Microsoft® Windows® 7 64-bit Ultimate operating system. Drivers: AMD Catalyst 8.861 RC1, NVIDIA Driver 275.33 WHQL.

AMD Radeon? HD 6990M Graphics

9. TraptPatriot

TraptPatriot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Honestly, game selection doesn't really matter. AMD picked, in my opinion, two of the most graphically intensive games available today in Metro 2033 and Alien Versus Predator. Both those games are hogs and will eat up video cards for breakfast (similar to how Doom 3 was on opening day and 6 months later lol). If you see gains from one card to the other in those games, the card with the higher performance is better.

10. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, that's true. Very true

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.