580m vs 6990m Benches

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Shaden, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaden

Shaden Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    After MUCH discussion (whic Follows) I think it can be said that these cards are DEAD EVEN.

What brings about this assessment.

The extensive benching done by notebookcheck shows its recorded as a 5% edge to the 580 SLI ... however if you actually do the math on their posted FPS rates, the difference is 1.1% edge to the 580.

Some others, including myself, have noted that notebookcheck didn't bother to turn on overdrive for their testing (something I think is akin to getting in your car, putting it in Drive instead of overdrive and getting on the highway)

Overdrive increases the performance of the 6990 between 5-10%.

With overdrive on the 6990 MIGHT have a slight edge over the 580. (but no one has done the testing to back this up)

All in all, if you take the NBC benches at their value there should be a 1.1% difference, on some games the 580 will win, on some they will be dead even and on other the 6990 will win.

We will call this match a DRAW ! Enjoy the cards you have, if you prefer one interface over the other, all the power to you.

2. TraptPatriot

TraptPatriot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Doesn't look that legitimate to be honest. First thing that threw me off was the CPU score for the 3DMark11 test, 50k? While the exact same processor with an AMD card gets 20k? Maybe I am missing something but that seems messed up.

3. Shaden

Shaden Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fair enough, maybe these are bogus ... thought I'd share ... Logicalblue is an Aus retailer ...

4. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I agree. Not a good comparison or source. Looks like someone knocked up that table of crap figures in minutes......dont believe it until genuine figures from genuine sources come out.

5. greatbigphil

greatbigphil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. LostMemoriCry

LostMemoriCry Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree with steven. The EXPENSIVE price of 580m can be accepted by some of us, and they also expect to the great performance of the GPUs, so i do not think they are IDIOTs to paid much more on GPU options.. Be honest, I placed the order with 580m sli on 7/7, at that time, I had the same chance to order 6990M CF as well, but I still insisted on the simple rule which is "You get what you pay for".
    To be fair, just wait the genuine comparison results. It should come out asap. All the fans of Nv and Amd are waiting for it.

7. bar-code

bar-code Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well i just changed my order from 580m sli to the 6990m CF, If the performance is pretty much neck and neck i just saved myself $700. Question remains why is nvidia charging so much for the 580m's.

Canada's dell pricing on both 6990m and 580m is/ how it should be across the board.

Dont be too surprised if Dell in the coming days again change the pricing on Nvidia 580m as nobody can justify the pricing unless of course your a diehard nv fan. (Bragging rights)

8. Jas71

Jas71 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some benchmarks for the 6990M here. 6990M

9. Zorbolt

Zorbolt Newbie

Reputations:
  10. Shaden

Shaden Notebook Deity

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.