580M SLI vs 6990m Xfire

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Juang1985, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juang1985

Juang1985 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    not enough games tested imo

3. mharidas

mharidas VLSI/FAB Engineer

Reputations:
    Its old and not done properly. Its mostly a review that seems to be done for the sake of it.

4. Shaden

Shaden Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^^ exactly ... we have all seen this and generally shown it to be inaccurate.

5. Juang1985

Juang1985 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    oh okay! well im glad... Im waiting on my new rig with dual 6990m in xfire,
    and according to this review... even the gtx 485m sli is fater than 6990m xfire.
    hope is wrong !

thanks guys

6. ichime

ichime Notebook Elder

Reputations:
    I think after it's all said and done, the 580M SLi will be slightly faster. However, I also think there's something a bit off with this review, especially when the 6990M XF is only 5% faster than the 6970M XF according to them...

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    From my personal testing the cards are pretty much on par overall. The REDs have more sheer power which really helps in games like Crysis and Metro but the Greens are ahead when heavy tessellation is required. OC'ing is an open topic.

That review is soo far away from what I get with my own system (all stock).

So, it's down to personal preferences.

8. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 580M no doubt are faster cards and a more complete package, they are also stupid expensive... so not sure it's worth the extra cash for roughly 10% more FPS. That said, if they get throttle fixed, it's no contest.

9. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Don't worry, I think you made the right choice. From everything I have seen the 580/6990 are fairly even, exchanging leads depending on the game. I saw that article when I was trying to decide which one to get. Drivers and system config can make a world of difference. One graph showed the 6970CF beat the 6990CF, and another showed a single 6990 and 6970 beat 6990CF. Something was wrong there.

If the 580's were cheaper, performed measurably better, had no throttling issues, and could do eyefinity (Nvidia surround, triple screen) then I would have chosen them. As it is, they do none of those things. I don't like to pay more, for less, and in this case that is how I feel it is.

After following the throttling thread, I am very confident I made the right choice. If they were even the same price I could understand, but why would anyone pay more for the 580 is beyond me.

This is coming from someone whom has had Nvida at least 90% of the time.

10. TheOneBillyGum

TheOneBillyGum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have no fear my friend, if you play games that use phsyx, you will be awed, think about mafia2, BATMAN AA.

I used to love ATI, but I am afraid those cards disappoint me too much, I will stick with nV for awhile. :) ( The extra $$$ can be compensate by not going to the firing range too often :cool: )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.